Risotto

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
1:11 AM
[Mod.Edit: this post copied over and following few posts moved to form new topic (MG)]

Well, I don't know if this came out right, as I've never seen, tasted, or made risotto, but it tasted quite nice, and I'm generally put off by gooey/gummy texture, and this didn't bother me, so maybe it's in the neighborhood of being somewhat correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I don't know if this came out right, as I've never seen, tasted, or made risotto, but it tasted quite nice, and I'm generally put off by gooey/gummy texture, and this didn't bother me, so maybe it's in the neighborhood of being somewhat correct?

Tasters It looks good to me. I make a lot of risotto my wife likes her's tight, I like mine wet.It's not a simple black or white dish This is our compromise

It’s your first attempt with risotto and looks very well done. Not too much thick and not too much creamy. Bravo 👏🏻

It’s your first attempt with risotto and looks very well done. Not too much thick and not too much creamy. Bravo 👏🏻
Thank you! However, reading up on it this morning, I think I must have failed. I should have stayed off the internet! :laugh:

The only risotto rice I could find, though, came in a big container, so I have many more attempts in front of me.

Why failed?
It's a funny thing, really, and I don't mean to imply that I'm upset, I'm not. Usually, things like this upset me a great deal, but I'll tell you why this hasn't.

First, I came at this with virtually zero knowledge of risotto. I'd vaguely heard of it, and only saw my first picture of it after joining here. To say I knew nothing would be very accurate.

I saw a recipe (while searching things to make with squash) and figured now was the time.

Normally, I'd have done a bunch of research first, then gotten horribly flustered, and abandoned the idea before I started, but I didn't do that. I just looked at the recipe, thought, "Ok, seems easy enough," and carried on.

Now to this morning: I went out and read seven articles on making risotto. Not recipes, but articles on the hows and whys behind risotto. I learned:

1. The correct ratio of stock-to-rice is 2.5 cups stock to 1 cup rice...except that no, this other chef says it's always, always 3.5 cups stock to 1 cup rice...except this other chef says it's around 3 cups stock, a little more, a little less.

2. You must always, always constantly without fail stir the rice while its cooking, or it will fail...except this other chef says you must never, never ever constantly stir the rice, just stir enough to keep it from sticking, or your rice will fail.

3. Risotto must never be cooked more than 18 minutes, ever...except when this chef over here says 25 minutes is the magic number...until you read this other article, which states 30 minutes, no more, no less.

The one thing they all agreed on..."You must do it my way for perfect risotto, every other way is completely wrong!" :laugh:

That's why I'm not too fussed - obviously, if these people can't get it straight, what hope have I? That, and the fact that, except for rice pudding, I'm not that keen on rice anyway, so I don't feel that I'm missing out on something that I love. I've got my big container of risotto rice, and I'll keep practicing, and keep failing, until it's gone.

I will say this - this is only the second time in my life that I've had squash that I actually liked the flavor of, so that's a win. :)

It's a funny thing, really, and I don't mean to imply that I'm upset, I'm not. Usually, things like this upset me a great deal, but I'll tell you why this hasn't.

First, I came at this with virtually zero knowledge of risotto. I'd vaguely heard of it, and only saw my first picture of it after joining here. To say I knew nothing would be very accurate.

I saw a recipe (while searching things to make with squash) and figured now was the time.

Normally, I'd have done a bunch of research first, then gotten horribly flustered, and abandoned the idea before I started, but I didn't do that. I just looked at the recipe, thought, "Ok, seems easy enough," and carried on.

Now to this morning: I went out and read seven articles on making risotto. Not recipes, but articles on the hows and whys behind risotto. I learned:

1. The correct ratio of stock-to-rice is 2.5 cups stock to 1 cup rice...except that no, this other chef says it's always, always 3.5 cups stock to 1 cup rice...except this other chef says it's around 3 cups stock, a little more, a little less.

2. You must always, always constantly without fail stir the rice while its cooking, or it will fail...except this other chef says you must never, never ever constantly stir the rice, just stir enough to keep it from sticking, or your rice will fail.

3. Risotto must never be cooked more than 18 minutes, ever...except when this chef over here says 25 minutes is the magic number...until you read this other article, which states 30 minutes, no more, no less.

The one thing they all agreed on..."You must do it my way for perfect risotto, every other way is completely wrong!" :laugh:

That's why I'm not too fussed - obviously, if these people can't get it straight, what hope have I? That, and the fact that, except for rice pudding, I'm not that keen on rice anyway, so I don't feel that I'm missing out on something that I love. I've got my big container of risotto rice, and I'll keep practicing, and keep failing, until it's gone.

I will say this - this is only the second time in my life that I've had squash that I actually liked the flavor of, so that's a win. :)

Oh dear, the more I‘ve read the more I gained an headache 🙃.. and I make risotto since I was 15 yo

Keep the hope alive! Use your common sense (and you have it of course) so your taste.
Sometimes risotto will be a success other don’t, this happens to me as well and I say “oh hello rice lake” or “oh hello rice rock”.
Just practice and if I can say, don’t look too much articles at same time. Focused only 1 or at least 2, then go.
Anyway, I confirm that your risotto looks perfect!

[Mod.Edit: this post copied over and following few posts moved to form new topic (MG)]

It looks pretty good to me. I'm not a big fan of risotto - too kind of 'creamy' for my taste but it looks how it oughta!

Tasters mate you have the rice and the technique that with the core ingredient is only 30% of a good risotto. The stock quality represents the other 70% in my humble opinion.

Your risotto looks great. Sorry to say it TR, but you are too recipe focussed. Making risotto is a labour of love, requiring feeding and gentle massage. Forget the timings. You seem to have nailed it already, so throw away your recipes and proceed by touch and taste!

Back
Top Bottom