roasting nuts

Steve3730

Local time
2:40 PM
Getting into roasting nuts and looking for some tips. I have read and tried recipes and really the temps and time are all over the place. Seeing if someone can explain why soaking vs not soaking. low 225 vs 350. Been googling a lot and really can’t find guidelines or explanation of doing it one way or another will have an affect.

Recipes that involve cooking them on the grill lean towards a 10 minute soak and 30 minute @ 225. I’ve tried multiple batches at that and they came out gummy and under cooked. Going to try tonight just straight oven no soak and a batch soaked to see what I come up with. But hoping someone can save me some experimenting time! Thanks!

-Cooking Raw shell removed peanuts

I'll take just one if your questions.
Soaking nuts. Normally you'd soak nuts overnight/12hrs minimum. The reason being that if you're eating raw nuts, tbe body can absorb more nutrients and minerals from soaked nuts because the phytic acid in them is reduced (not necessarily removed completely) in volume in nuts that are soaked. It comes out in the water which is frequently cloudy as a result.

Soaking nuts for 10 minutes or 30 minutes really wouldn't do that much in my opinion. At best it could only be to 'steam' the nuts as you roast them.

I used to roast peanuts all the time, never soaked them though, just roast with a bit of butter, watch while its heating, there's a fine line between ready and burnt. When almost ready pour onto a cold surface. Then salt.

Russ

Craig do you guys boil peanuts. ? If so I'm gunna have to try.

Russ

I've eaten boiled peanuts. I've never tried to boil them myself. Hard to come by raw peanuts in the shell here. Plus one of my brothers had a pressure cooker explode while boiling them.

Only ever rosted nuts as a prep for smoking them. Ususally pecans or cashews, lightly roasted (10 mins @ 120 degC), dipped in a mix of salt and sugar them hot smoked for about 12 mins. Delicious!

Back
Top Bottom