Roasting pot novice question

My thoughts are that it will certainly cook the chicken and potatoes but in order to brown the chicken and get crispy potatoes you would need to take the lid off for the last 20 mins or so. This, of course, defeats the object of using the pot to stop grease in the oven! I don't think there is much of a way around this.

If you are near Liverpool there are bound to be some. I'd simply try Googling 'oven cleaning services'.
I'm sure there will be, no doubt my mother will have made the oven a filthy mess in a few months. I may end up asking a professional to clean the oven. I'm just hoping to massively reduce the dirt by getting her a roasting pan.

Depending on what you'd like to get for her, here are MY three. Two of them come with a rack. They are very handy. Of course, I no longer roast a whole turkey because it's only me. I like to cook half a turkey breast or a whole leg. I like to do what I call a mini Thanksgiving dinner! That does me fine!! :whistling:

Last edited:
The main point of my post though, was to ask about roasting pans (as pictured in my first post). I'm hoping that by using one of these the fat won't reach the sides of the oven in the first place. I don't know anyone who's used one, there are plenty of instances of people using them to roast a chicken, but I don't know if they're practical to roast both a chicken and roast potatoes at the same time. I'm just going to buy her one and try to get her to use it.
Like Morning Glory says, whilst a deep or lidded roasted pan will cook the chicken and potatoes, they won't get properly browned....which is after all the whole point of roasting.

When you cook meat in the oven the fats are aerosolised (ie. dissolved in the steam that comes out from the meat) and they then settle on the walls of the oven. That's what makes an oven dirty. So unless you only ever cook with the lid on (which as already mentioned, doesn't work for roasting) then I'm afraid the oven is not going to stay much cleaner.

I can't believe there are no oven cleaning companies in the whole of Liverpool....even our relatively small town has several. Checkatrade is only one listings service (and quite a niche one because its expensive for the trades to advertise on it) so here's another one, which has 7 pages of oven cleaning companies in the Liverpool area: https://www.yell.com/ucs/UcsSearchA...278&keywords=oven+cleaning&location=liverpool

Like Morning Glory says, whilst a deep or lidded roasted pan will cook the chicken and potatoes, they won't get properly browned....which is after all the whole point of roasting.

When you cook meat in the oven the fats are aerosolised (ie. dissolved in the steam that comes out from the meat) and they then settle on the walls of the oven. That's what makes an oven dirty. So unless you only ever cook with the lid on (which as already mentioned, doesn't work for roasting) then I'm afraid the oven is not going to stay much cleaner.

I can't believe there are no oven cleaning companies in the whole of Liverpool....even our relatively small town has several. Checkatrade is only one listings service (and quite a niche one because its expensive for the trades to advertise on it) so here's another one, which has 7 pages of oven cleaning companies in the Liverpool area: Oven Cleaning near Liverpool | Get a Quote - Yell

But the way to really roast a chicken is is to start with the backside up & the oven set to just under 500 degrees. Let it brown a little. Then turn it over so that the breast side is up. Do the same thing. Let it brown a little. Then reduce the temp to about 350 degrees & let it cook mormally for about 40 to 45 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast registers about 165 degrees. Remove from oven & let it sit to retract all of the juices. Trust me, I've learned to do it this way & it has come out perfect every time!!! Never fails!! The skin is crispy-dry & golden, with the meat moist juicy & tender. :whistling:

Last edited:
To clean the oven, I use Dawn Power Disolver. Works great!! You can get it from Amazon.com. :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom