Rogue items found in food

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
5:03 PM
The other day I was driving on the motorway and as is my habit, munching on sweeties (candies in US). I only ever eat sweets when driving. I like hard gums such as Midget Gems and had a packet ready opened on the passenger seat so I could reach in to it without taking my eyes off the road. I reached into the pack and found something long and wriggly! Mild panic - I glance down and its a snake!

To be fair, it wasn't a real snake and it was made of gum (soft gum) but it was a bit of a shock whilst I was driving. Here is a photo:

20190513_111621.jpg

Now the thing is - the company (owned by Cadbury) do make a product called Silly Snakes. But what I can't understand is how such a different sized item can not be noticed (by humans or machines) on the production line.

I called the help-line and got profuse apologies and the promise of a voucher to compensate...

Have you ever found rogue items in food you have purchased?

The other day I was driving on the motorway and as is my habit, munching on sweeties (candies in US). I only ever eat sweets when driving. I like hard gums such as Midget Gems and had a packet ready opened on the passenger seat so I could reach in to it without taking my eyes off the road. I reached into the pack and found something long and wriggly! Mild panic - I glance down and its a snake!

To be fair, it wasn't a real snake and it was made of gum (soft gum) but it was a bit of a shock whilst I was driving. Here is a photo:

View attachment 28154

Now the thing is - the company (owned by Cadbury) do make a product called Silly Snakes. But what I can't understand is how such a different sized item can not be noticed (by humans or machines) on the production line.

I called the help-line and got profuse apologies and the promise of a voucher to compensate...

Have you ever found rogue items in food you have purchased?

I too eat lollies / sweets/ candy. Also from the console between the seats. Never any odd things in my stuff.
Russ

This made me think. My friend, an ex butcher, who had his own shop until 7 years ago. He used to,sell minced beef, on special at times. Anyway because I have been in volved with horses, I know of a company that buys horses to process for overseas markets. The company goes/ used to go under clover brand. I also used to buy horse meat for my dogs when I used to breed dogs.Anyway I was in his shop one day and I watched him put raw meat from a box of meat with the clover brand on it. Horse meat with beef mince. ? I asked him about it, he changed the subject. I never bought any meat off him again. I don't think customers would have liked it if they knew??

Russ

I asked him about it, he changed the subject. I never bought any meat off him again. I don't think customers would have liked it if they knew??

Yeah! There was a 'scandal' in the UK a few years ago where it was discovered that various ready-meals on sale in supermarkets were using horse meat instead of beef.

Iceland, wasn't it? Or Tesco.
I think it was Iceland
I knew it had to be one of the two. I was shocked when the report came out.
Actually out was both and two more were involved. Iceland, Tesco, Lidl and Aldi all withdrew products from shelving.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jan/16/horsemeat-burgers-supermarkets
It was however 6 years ago now.
Oh cripes, I forgot about Lidl and Aldi.

Back
Top Bottom