Roll up, roll up, cucumber recipes wanted here!

SandwichShortOfAPicnic

Über Member
Local time
11:37 PM
I love cucumber, A LOT but I don’t have a cucumber salad recipe I actually like.

If you have any good cucumber recipes then please post them here on CB and link them to here and I’ll be eternally grateful!

Mod Edit: recipes, no matter how basic get lost in threads like this and can't be found again. Please create a new thread for every recipe and put a link to them here. That way when this thread is dead, you'll only have lost a link and not the recipe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on what you consider good of course, preferences vary.

My easy cucumber salad I made tonight was made with the following:
1 cucumber, grated
Vinaigrette made out of 1 tablespoon yoghurt, 1 tablespoon salad cream, 1 tablespoon dill vinegar
Chopped fresh mint, dill, and parsley
And a sprinkle of salt and pepper

Depends on what you consider good of course, preferences vary.

My easy cucumber salad I made tonight was made with the following:
1 cucumber, grated
Vinaigrette made out of 1 tablespoon yoghurt, 1 tablespoon salad cream, 1 tablespoon dill vinegar
Chopped fresh mint, dill, and parsley
And a sprinkle of salt and pepper
Sounds ideal!

Yeah it fits the heat very well, which I understand is affecting you greatly in Spain at the moment?
It is apparently unbearable but I don’t spend July or August in Spain for that very reason. Right now I’m enjoying a rainy 20 degrees in Blighty.

It’s one of the reasons I couldn’t live in Spain, they are in trouble with desertification increasing at a rate of knots, long term drought with reservoirs depleting year on year and now it’s to the point the Junta’s (governing bodies) have stopped filling swimming pools and have to face restricting peoples water supplies, including to farmers who have been forced into buying water on the black market.

The water they are currently relying on is underground and once thats gone it’s gone. There’s nothing filtering through the replace it, that is more than a little concerning.

The days where I’d buy a place in the sun are long gone. Rent and run is the only way to enjoy it and know you’re not heading for trouble.

In fact we were only discussing yesterday buying a place in northern Scotland (the highlands) where given the way things seem to be going will likely become a good place to live weather wise!

Stir fried cucumber with egg and prawns

[Tang-Gwa Pad Kai Khung]

Cucumber faces.jpg

Last edited:
Have to admit, I've been thinking about moving north as well given the heat and hurricanes.

A very simple and old use, quick pickled cucumber slices. Peel, or not, cucumbers and slice about 1/4 inch thick, large cukes, not the little pickling ones, very thinly slice white or yellow/brown onions in similar amounts, extremely thin slices of garlic if desired. In a plastic container, pour in equal amounts of white or rice vinegar and water, throw in some salt and pepper, a little sugar, especially if using white vinegar, and mix until mostly dissolved. Add the cucumber and onion slices, garlic if using, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.

You can give it Asian flare by adding some soy sauce or tamari. Add some red pepper flakes or thinly sliced peppers/chiles, dill fronds, etc.

Every woman had her version of the above when I was growing up. It's an easy dish to play with to make it your own and is great as a side in the heat.

[Mod comment (TR)]:
It’ll be much better if members post recipes in the appropriate Ingredients & Recipes sub-forums and then link it back here.

Thanks! :okay:
There's always zatziki as well. I don't have a recipe, just wing it each time.
I'm pretty awful with recipes. Most stuff I make i have no specific measurements. Like medtran49, I just wing it.

My SIL came back yesterday. Tonight we're having salmon teriyaki poke bowls with cucumber, green onion, avocado, nori (seaweed) flakes and tobiko (flying fish roe) on a bed of sushi rice with a soy Wasabi drizzle. Yum.

I do cucumber rhaita with Indian dishes. As do a few on here.
Recipe - Cucumber Rhaita
I make this quite regularly
Russ
Mod edit: recipe moved to own threadI do cucumber rhaita with Indian dishes. As do a few on here.

At least you posted measurements!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom