Roll up, roll up, cucumber recipes wanted here!

karadekoolaid's cucumber salad recipe. Well kind of close, obviously only pinenuts.

Two of us really really enjoyed it and two said they thought it was “interesting“ however they do prefer robustly flavoured food (you know the sort who have a heck of lot of sriracha or Tabasco on things) and yet I note that they went back for more and even though I more than tripled your recipe and there was a lot of it there was NONE left at the end of lunch, the bowl had been scraped! Cheers!

IMG_1662.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a nifty little appetizer which is easy to make and fun to present: Cucumber Jelly
I serve it with smoked salmon, caper and a bit of curry mayo. It's ridiculously economical to make, because 100 gms of smoked salmon goes a long way!
In the photo, my dear friend Adriana is filling the little cups we used for a wedding catering. we added the salmon just before serving.
I never tried it with gin/vodka, but it must be delish!

Here's a nifty little appetizer which is easy to make and fun to present: Cucumber Jelly
I serve it with smoked salmon, caper and a bit of curry mayo. It's ridiculously economical to make, because 100 gms of smoked salmon goes a long way!
In the photo, my dear friend Adriana is filling the little cups we used for a wedding catering. we added the salmon just before serving.
I never tried it with gin/vodka, but it must be delish!
Aaargh why do I have a house guest, I need to eat this NOW 😆

In restaurants we use mandolin sliced cucumbers, season them with lots of salt and some sugar. Then we wait for half an hour and strain them from the "cucumber juice", with that step the cucumber salad taste more like cucumber and less like water.
I use to have to do that for an old lady I looked after when I was 18 years old, that was all she’d eat in the evening, just 6 slices of cucumber steeped in salt sugar and a dash of vinegar with 1 slice of buttered brown bread cut into triangles with the crusts cut off.
Oddly I never tried it. I think at the time I thought she would accuse me of stealing, actually she probably would she was a very difficult lady 😆

I’ve started the cucumber jelly.
It’s so PRETTY 🤩

I remembered when my bezzie’s grandmother died because I used to keep her company on her to visits I was given these sweet little sherry glasses to remember her by.
So I’ve got four little glasses chilling in the fridge now waiting for their smoked salmon hats!

Can’t wait!

IMG_0687.jpeg

This just popped into my head. One of our cookbooks written in the mid 80s, had lengthwise thinly sliced cucumbers (now, I'd season and drain like mentioned above), spread with a mixture of softened/whipped cream cheese and creme fraiche or sour cream, then a cut to fit slice of cured or smoked salmon, and sprinkled with roughly chopped dill. Roll up from a short end and secure with a decorative toothpick.

This is a really roll up, roll up cucumber dish.

This just popped into my head. One of our cookbooks written in the mid 80s, had lengthwise thinly sliced cucumbers (now, I'd season and drain like mentioned above), spread with a mixture of softened/whipped cream cheese and creme fraiche or sour cream, then a cut to fit slice of cured or smoked salmon, and sprinkled with roughly chopped dill. Roll up from a short end and secure with a decorative toothpick.

That’s so bizarre I was literally looking at the strained remnants of cucumber thinking with cream cheese and wrapped in salmon that would probably be nice.

But I know exactly the recipe you’re talking about and that sounds better!

I love canapés and appetisers but gluten free ones worth having are rare, I’d completely forgotten about that recipe.
THANKS!

That does sound really good. I used to make something similar but yours sounds easier to prepare and keep together when eating. Mine was English cucumber slices with a dollop of cream cheese and salmon on top, plus a small slice of avocado on top of that and a sprinkle of lemon pepper and fresh dill. But it had to be secured with a toothpick and even then it wasn't easy to keep it from sliding apart when popping into your mouth.

Back
Top Bottom