Roll up, roll up, cucumber recipes wanted here!

Yep, agreed, it’s not a sponge cake.

When I was a kid, all they had in the stores were white cake, yellow cake, and devil’s food/chocolate cake mixes. White cake had no yolks, just whites, and yellow cake had the whole egg in it.

Nowadays, yikes, there’s every flavor imaginable, including things that are just made-up flavors. I have a half-box of Dolly Parton’s Southern-style Banana Pudding Cake mix in my cupboard!
If it's not a sponge Im still none the wiser as to what a yellow cake is 😂

A Victoria sponge generally uses more eggs and/or milk so has a denser texture than a normal sponge. Growing up that was the cake most people made, not sure why but it felt like Victoria sponge was viewed as superior, perhaps it was the extra egg or milk?

The word sponge on it's own covers many other types of textures so can be anything from a fatless whipped egg job to something very similar to a Victoria sponge.

The more I type the word 'sponge' the weirder it seems to call a cake a 'sponge' 😆

1690607728646.png

A couple of pics of the end result. I used a lot more smoked salmon than I suspect is usually used in wedding catering but for me it gave the right amount of salt and sweet throughout. I was delayed by a day in the final assembly as the smoked salmon I got from the lovely looking farm shop was really truly awful and I wasn't prepared to ruin the cucumber jelly with substandard smoked salmon.

After getting some of the good stuff I diced smoked salmon into tiny pieces so you could get both salmon and cucumber on the spoon for the duration and attempted to put a little rose of salmon in the middle. To say they were well received is an understatement, THANKYOU karadekoolaid!

IMG_0725.jpeg

IMG_0728.jpeg

Honestly I almost couldn’t post this last pic, the tiny dot of green parsley (bottom one in the pic) that flew in while I was making the Baba Ganoush which I missed is insane making 🤪

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom