Root Vegetable/Tuber Side Dishes

The place we went for breakfast Friday had a special on of:

BRILLIANT BEET TOAST
Whole grain artisan toast topped with beet hummus, fresh avocado, pickled onions, diced red beets, lemon dressed arugula and herbed Goat cheese. Served with two cage-free basted eggs.

I almost ordered it, but got a BLT eggs Benedict instead that had arugula for the lettuce and also had slices of avocado.

I would have ordered, not out of my comfort zone.

Russ

Jerusalem artichokes are easy to grow. Just keep in mind that they grow TALL. And they'll come back year after year

Yes, they will come back year after year.

And they grow like sunflowers .. the word in Italian for sunflower is girasole, which has been corrupted to 'Jerusalem' - hence their name.

I remember reading somewhere that, if you're planning a dinner party - but don't want your guests to stay very long, then serve Jerusalem artichoke soup as a first course ...

Yes, they will come back year after year.

And they grow like sunflowers .. the word in Italian for sunflower is girasole, which has been corrupted to 'Jerusalem' - hence their name.

I remember reading somewhere that, if you're planning a dinner party - but don't want your guests to stay very long, then serve Jerusalem artichoke soup as a first course ...

I really like Jerusalem artichokes... but then again I've never had them in a soup. I have had them cold in salads, and cooked into stir fries. Hmm, wondering what the background on this, is?

I really like Jerusalem artichokes... but then again I've never had them in a soup. I have had them cold in salads, and cooked into stir fries. Hmm, wondering what the background on this, is?

I adore them. They are brilliant in soup. I use them in salads too but generally cooked if in salad. They are supposed to cause wind but I've not personally found that to be an issue. Here are a few dishes I made with Jerusalem Artichokes:

Jerusalem Artichoke and Mushroom Soup
Mushrooms, Artichokes and Balsamic Glazed Garlic on Spelt Pancakes
Scallops with Jerusalem Artichoke Veloutée and Coffee, Black Cardamom and Walnut Crumb

Catered a party once (I am not a professional, did it for a charity event) and one of the appetizers I made was Cocktail size bread slices toasted and spread with cinnamon sugar butter ( basically small cinnamon toasts) topped with roasted multicolor beats. I roasted the beats whole with balsamic glaze, finely chopped the beets after roasting and topped the cinnamon toasts with the beets. They were yummy!

Back
Top Bottom