Root Vegetable/Tuber Side Dishes

A favourite delicacy - salsify. Difficult to find. Its fantastic with seafood. This was lobster with saffron broth & salsify - it seems I never wrote up the recipe...

:love: any and all root veggies.

I have been on line researching edible wild foods. One I would like to try is cat tail root.

I have found wild, edible greens in my yard but will have to search for cat tails.

G likes Beet root boiled, chilled then served with diced boiled eggs and scallions. He also likes it when I slice the beets rather thick, toss with EVOO, salt and cracked pepper roasted in a hot oven. I have introduced him to parsnips, jicama and celeric.

There are turnips and beets growing in my garden boxes.

Not just the roots. The greens from root veggies are often over looked. Turnip greens, celery green and my favorite is beet greens.

I have been on line researching edible wild foods. One I would like to try is cat tail root.

I have found wild, edible greens in my yard but will have to search for cat tails.

G likes Beet root boiled, chilled then served with diced boiled eggs and scallions. He also likes it when I slice the beets rather thick, toss with EVOO, salt and cracked pepper roasted in a hot oven. I have introduced him to parsnips, jicama and celeric.

Not just the roots. The greens from root veggies are often over looked. Turnip greens, celery green and my favorite is beet greens.

The only thing I have eaten are cat tail tubers, sorta like the heart of cabbage palmetto in texture and taste.

morning glory

I really like Jerusalem Artichokes. The taste can not be described. I like to use them in a stew or with braised meat.
They do have the draw back of being gas bombs.

They are also ornamental. The tall stems and sunflower like flowers look nice planted along a fence line.

I love Beetroot, I'm growing ATM. Get G to try one of my fave Sammys, bread sliced cold Beetroot and sliced onion. I really love this. My first job I had they served them in the cafeteria, they were popular. I've eaten them ever since.

Russ

morning glory

I really like Jerusalem Artichokes. The taste can not be described. I like to use them in a stew or with braised meat.
They do have the draw back of being gas bombs.

They are also ornamental. The tall stems and sunflower like flowers look nice planted along a fence line.

I agree the taste is very special. Salsify has something of that taste. I didn't realise they were ornamental - maybe I will grow some this year.

I love Beetroot, I'm growing ATM. Get G to try one of my fave Sammys, bread sliced cold Beetroot and sliced onion. I really love this. My first job I had they served them in the cafeteria, they were popular. I've eaten them ever since.

Russ

The place we went for breakfast Friday had a special on of:

BRILLIANT BEET TOAST
Whole grain artisan toast topped with beet hummus, fresh avocado, pickled onions, diced red beets, lemon dressed arugula and herbed Goat cheese. Served with two cage-free basted eggs.

I almost ordered it, but got a BLT eggs Benedict instead that had arugula for the lettuce and also had slices of avocado.

I don't know if they have any in your part of the woods, but the place is called First Watch. They serve breakfast and lunch, and tend toward the healthier side, though still very good, at least what we've had. I love their million dollar bacon, which is always 1 of their specials.

I don't know if they have any in your part of the woods, but the place is called First Watch. They serve breakfast and lunch, and tend toward the healthier side, though still very good, at least what we've had. I love their million dollar bacon, which is always 1 of their specials.

:cry:
Wish they were.

Back
Top Bottom