Recipe Saffron, garlic shrimp pasta

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
5:39 PM
2019-04-23 17.56.32.jpg

This is my recipe and the recipe I am writing it with the revisions I will be making next time we have it.

2 servings
1 pound 20-25 shrimp, shell on
1 cup onion, chopped
5 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/4 tsp saffron threads
1-1/2 tsp ground cumin + extra for shrimp
2 tsp smoked paprika + extra for shrimp
Salt and pepper
3/4 cup white wine
4 oz baby spinach or Swiss chard
1/2 pound spaghetti rigatti or linguine

Remove shells and tails from shrimp, place shells and tails in a small saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Remove veins from shrimp.

Season shrimp with a large pinch of cumin, paprika, salt and pepper, toss to distribute evenly and set aside.

Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook pasta per directions on package.

Pour about 1/4 cup of shrimp stock into a small bowl and add saffron threads. Set aside.

Pour about 1/4 cup olive oil in skillet over medium high heat, add onions, lower to medium and cook until onion is translucent. Add garlic, cumin and paprika, and cook for about a minute. Add the wine, bring to a boil, add saffron mixture and about an additional 1/4 cup shrimp stock. Add salt and pepper. Simmer for about 10 minutes to reduce. Add shrimp and cook for 2 minutes. Add spinach and cook until wilted and shrimp is almost done. Add pasta and stir to soak up liquid. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve.

Last edited:
View attachment 23902

This is my recipe and the recipe I am writing is with the revisions I will be making next time we have it.

2 servings
1 pound 20-25 shrimp, shell on
1 cup onion, chopped
5 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/4 tsp saffron threads
1-1/2 tsp ground cumin + extra for shrimp
2 tsp smoked paprika + extra for shrimp
Salt and pepper
3/4 cup white wine
4 oz baby spinach
1/2 pound spaghetti rigatti or linguine

Remove shells and tails from shrimp, place shells and tails in a small saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Remove veins from shrimp.

Season shrimp with a pinch of cumin, paprika, salt and pepper, toss to distribute evenly and set aside.

Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook pasta per directions on package.

Pour about 1/4 cup of shrimp stock into a small bowl and add saffron threads. Set aside.

Pour about 1/4 cup olive oil in skillet over medium high heat, add onions, lower to medium and cook until onion is translucent. Add garlic, cumin and paprika, and cook for about a minute. Add the wine, bring to a boil, add saffron mixture and about 1/4 cup shrimp stock. Add salt and pepper. Simmer for about 10 minutes to reduce. Add shrimp and cook for 2 minutes. Add spinach and cook until wilted and shrimp is almost done. Add pasta and stir to soak up liquid. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve.

This sounds lovely. I know that a great stock can be made from prawn shells/heads - adding saffron would be delightful.

The shrimp were frozen Royal Reds from Argentina. The only fresh shrimp we can get here are Key West pinks when in season, unless you catch them yourself.

The shrimp were frozen Royal Reds from Argentina. The only fresh shrimp we can get here are Key West pinks when in season, unless you catch them yourself.

Are those the type which are red when raw? I've got some like that in my freezer back home - not sure if they are Argentinian. There's a type called Carabineros which is found in Spain and Morocco.

Are those the type which are red when raw? I've got some like that in my freezer back home - not sure if they are Argentinian. There's a type called Carabineros which is found in Spain and Morocco.

Yes. The ones we get are from Argentina. There are also Key West pinks, which are very pink when raw. I'm sure there are other shrimp that are also very pink to red when raw.

IDK about on the east Florida coast. Many shrimpers on the Gulf coast have flash freezers on board. The shrimp are graded then flash frozen. Those shrimpers sell commercially.
WE Can buy off of the boat at landings 30 miles from here
I envy you the availability of exotic, high end products.
An advantage of living in a rich tourist area
Looking for lots of rain over the next few days
Thanks to Barry
No problem other than mushy ground and crazy drivers

IDK about on the east Florida coast. Many shrimpers on the Gulf coast have flash freezers on board. The shrimp are graded then flash frozen. Those shrimpers sell commercially.
WE Can buy off of the boat at landings 30 miles from here
I envy you the availability of exotic, high end products.
An advantage of living in a rich tourist area
Looking for lots of rain over the next few days
Thanks to Barry
No problem other than mushy ground and crazy drivers

I've been following Barry on the news, I watch CNN and fox.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom