Guru
Local time
7:50 PM
Salenjaci

DOBRI STARI SALENJACI: Provjerena receptura za omiljene zimske kolačiće

Ingredients

800-1000 g all purpose flour
500 lard
1 yeast cube (40 g, I added the g quantity, as yeast cubes may vary across the globe)
400 ml milk
1egg
salt and sugar

Preparation

It says, hard to imagine how delicate these are, made with lard...
  1. Make a soft dough and let it rise for an hour. Roll out to 1-1,5 cm thickness. (It literally says just that, so it is instruction for the advanced level baker/cook I guess)
  2. Use your fingers to crumble the lard and rubb in into the dough. Fold and use the fingers to stick it in.
  3. Fold again across, keep tapping with your fingers. Let it rest for a while again. Roll out thin onto a flour covered surface. Cut it into squares.
  4. Put a bit of jam in each square, you may use a homemade apricot jam. Fold and stick in. (I have tried it with plum jam, and I strongly cheer for plum jam, it is absolutely delicious, the darkness of plum flavour does it for me)
  5. Bake for 15 minutes at 180-200 C.
The photo is from the same article I linked here above. i just find it very pretty so decided to insert it this way too.

I love the version dusted with powdered sugar, it does not mention powdered sugar here...

Also the final decorative folding may vary, I like it also this way:

Salčići - recept za salenjake

The name has a number of variations too, salčići being one of them. Apparently they are an old Slavonia (eastern part of Croatia) recipe.

Salenjaci

Ingredients

500 lard
1 yeast cube (40 g, I added the g quantity, as yeast cubes may vary across the globe)
400 ml milk
1egg
salt and sugar

Preparation

1. Make a soft dough and let it rise for an hour. Roll out to 1-1,5 cm thickness. (It literally says just that, so it is instruction for the advanced level baker/cook I guess)
  2. Use your fingers to crumble the lard and rubb in into the dough. Fold and use the fingers to stick it in.
  3. Fold again across, keep tapping with your fingers. Let it rest for a while again. Roll out thin onto a flour covered surface. Cut it into squares.
  4. Put a bit of jam in each square, you may use a homemade apricot jam. Fold and stick in. (I have tried it with plum jam, and I strongly cheer for plum jam, it is absolutely delicious, the darkness of plum flavour does it for me)
The photo is from the same article I linked here above. i just find it very pretty so decided to insert it this way too.View attachment 59378
I love the version dusted with powdered sugar, it does not mention powdered sugar here...

View attachment 59379

The name has a number of variations too, salčići being one of them. Apparently they are an old Slavonia (eastern part of Croatia) recipe.
Those look delicious!

This is very similar to making croissant dough (except that croissants use butter). With croissants (as with puff pastry) the dough is folded and rolled more than twice. Given that they look so 'layered' I wondered if there are more folds than the two stated in the recipe.

This is very similar to making croissant dough (except that croissants use butter). With croissants (as with puff pastry) the dough is folded and rolled more than twice. Given that they look so 'layered' I wondered if there are more folds than the two stated in the recipe.
Exactly! Someone nicknamed them Croatian croissants... The Čvarkuše recipe on the other hand states more folding...however I remember and wish Salenjaci were very puffed, and Čvarkuše not that much.. .I assume if the dough is well made/meant for many folding, one could not go wrong...

The salenjaci sold in a bakery are not too puffed, but still delicious.

I am itching to try the recipes.

Salenjaci

Ingredients

500 lard
400 ml milk
1egg
salt and sugar

Preparation

The photo is from the same article I linked here above. i just find it very pretty so decided to insert it this way too.View attachment 59378

View attachment 59379

You had me at lard! They look delicious.
Lard it’s very used here too in sweets and pastries, other than in puff pastry and piadina.
It’s not the lighter of the products, but it works great. However when I ran of lard, I sub it for butter or even Evoo

Back
Top Bottom