Salt and Pepper

CraigC

Guru
Local time
5:58 AM
I thought about making this a poll, but sometimes folks just mark a poll choice and not respond with an answer. When you make a multi-ingredient dish, do you find it necessary to add salt and/or pepper at the table?

I rarely if ever find myself adding either at the table. I did when I was younger, even if the dish really didn't need any additional S&P.

It depends. I'm a complete salt addict so I use quite a lot of salt. But I know there are at least two members here who rarely add salt to anything even in cooking. I wasn't sure why you said a multi-ingredient dish. In fact, sorry if I'm being thick - what do you mean by a multi-ingredient dish? Do you mean a stew, for example, with lots of things in it or a plate with meat and two vegetables on it?

I do try to season things properly* during the cooking so I often don't add it at the table. The exception would be something like fried egg and chips (fries). In restaurants (depends on restaurant) I often add salt because the trend now is to reduce the salt in dishes.

As for pepper - bring it on! I'll add it to anything and everything. I had some on strawberries yesterday!

*a relative term!

By multi-ingredient, I am steering away from things like eggs, steaks and potatoes (fries, baked, etc...)

Ok - well if I cook them myself I season them as I go along so its unlikely I'll need more salt when I eat. Pepper is a different matter as freshly ground black pepper added just before eating (rather than mixed in) is a great thing.

Another salt addict here & as I eat little in the way of processed packaged food I'll eat as much as I like.

I season while cooking but knowing my tendency to love salt I usually hold back just a little when cooking for my family or guests. So I usually add more to my own plate.

My family and guests rarely add more.

I season while cooking but knowing my tendency to love salt I usually hold back just a little when cooking for my family or guests. So I usually add more to my own plate.

As I do for salt. I add pepper as required by the recipe but always add more to cauliflower cheese, mashed potatoes and béchamel sauce at the table. When cooking mushy peas, my wife has to taste them to determine whether there is sufficient salt. I would likely add too much for most people.

It is quite similar in flavor to black pepper, but somewhat milder in taste. not quite as strong.

For those who might want the milder taste of black pepper, but with less bite to it. It also eliminates the "black specks" in light color foods. :wink:

Last edited:
It also eliminates the "black specks" in light color foods. :wink:

Not a sight that worries me; in fact I like the look.

Black mustard seeds and whole cumin seeds in "Potatoes and Yoghurt":

potato yoghurt s.jpg

It is quite ...

For those who might want the milder taste... It also eliminates the "black specks" in light color foods. :wink:

When they were younger, everybody had to use white pepper for the twin nieces so they would eat the lighter colored foods when they went througha phase and decided they didn't like the black specks or pepper in any of their food.

Back
Top Bottom