Recipe Salvador Dali´s Ricotta & Honey Dessert (Mato i Mel)

Francesca

Local time
3:01 PM
This Catalan cheese dessert was put on the map, 1st by Author & Artist Salvador Dali and many years later by the now closed Restaurant El Bulli, 45 kilometres from Cadaquès, in Las Rosas.

Cadaquès has been called the most painted village and no wonder, positioned on a horse-shoe shaped Bay, hugged by mountains on the Costa Brava of north eastern Spain .. Thanks to the building laws, and geographic location, Cadaquès has not changed much.

Mato in Catalan denotes, fresh cheese and Mel is honey.

4 Servings: Salvador Dali´s Ricotta & Honey Dessert ( Mato i Miel ) ..

1 Kilo of: Whole Milk Ricotta ( cow milk Ricotta or Goat Milk Ricotta store purchased or homenade )
1/2 Cup of Honey
3/4 Cup Cold Water
1 Kilo of Fresh Rasberries ( One can sub strawberries, black berries or blue berries )
1 Cup Golden Brown Sugar
A Candy Thermometer

1) Line a sieve with several layers of damp cheese cloth placed over a large glass bowl.

2) Take the Ricotta and and drain the cheese of all liquids ..

3) With piece of alumnium foil, lightly greased with a light Green Extra Virgin Olive Oil ..
Reserve.

4) Okay, drain all liquids from the bowl .. Discard.

5) With a paper towel , rinse bowl, and wipe out the bowl ..

6) In a medium sized saucepan, over very low heat, pour 1 /4 wáter, 1 Cup Golden Brown Sugar and the honey .. Increase the heat, and reduce totally to a syrup and place a Candy thermimeter and when it reaches 320 Degrees Celsicius, you should have "caramel" perfect.

7) Now, add the remaining water to the caramel until it dissolves. Pour this syrup into the glass bowl ..

8) Crack the remaining caramel into jagged pieces ..

9) Place these jagged pieces of caramel on a baking tray ( place on parchment of baker´s paper ) or aluminum spread with Extra Virgin Olive oil .. That is on reserve ..

10) Wrap this tray in another piece of aluminum foil with the Evoo, very tighly and cover the caramel pieces with the syrup.

11) Let sit for 2 hours covered.

12) Take the Ricotta and form with a mold, 1 or 2 heeping tablespoon ovals or any shape you wish.

13) Arrange the cheese in ovals or rounds, on a large large plate.

14) Arrange the berries around the cheese.

15) Drizzle the caramel syrup over the Cheese Ovals ..

16) Place the Caramel hardened jagged pieces randomly into the cheese ovals standing up.

Serve immediately with Espresso or Tea .. Or a glass of Semi Sweet Sparkling Wine ..

Enjoy.
Have a lovely weekend ..

Last edited:
This Catalan cheese dessert was put on the map, 1st by Author & Artist Salvador Dali and many years later by the now closed Restaurant El Bulli, 45 kilometres from Cadaquès, in Las Rosas.

Cadaquès has been called the most painted village and no wonder, positioned on a horse-shoe shaped Bay, hugged by mountains on the Costa Brava of north eastern Spain .. Thanks to the building laws, and geographic location, Cadaquès has not changed much.

Mato in Catalan denotes, fresh cheese and Mel is honey.

4 Servings: Salvador Dali´s Ricotta & Honey Dessert ( Mato i Miel ) ..

1 Kilo of: Whole Milk Ricotta ( cow milk Ricotta or Goat Milk Ricotta store purchased or homenade )
1/2 Cup of Honey
3/4 Cup Cold Water
1 Kilo of Fresh Rasberries ( One can sub strawberries, black berries or blue berries )
1 Cup Golden Brown Sugar
A Candy Thermometer

1) Line a sieve with several layers of damp cheese cloth placed over a large glass bowl.

2) Take the Ricotta and and drain the cheese of all liquids ..

3) With piece of alumnium foil, lightly greased with a light Green Extra Virgin Olive Oil ..
Reserve.

4) Okay, drain all liquids from the bowl .. Discard.

5) With a paper towel , rinse bowl, and wipe out the bowl ..

6) In a medium sized saucepan, over very low heat, pour 1 /4 wáter, 1 Cup Golden Brown Sugar and the honey .. Increase the heat, and reduce totally to a syrup and place a Candy thermimeter and when it reaches 320 Degrees Celsicius, you should have "caramel" perfect.

7) Now, add the remaining water to the caramel until it dissolves. Pour this syrup into the glass bowl ..

8) Crack the remaining caramel into jagged pieces ..

9) Place these jagged pieces of caramel on a baking tray ( place on parchment of baker´s paper ) or aluminum spread with Extra Virgin Olive oil .. That is on reserve ..

10) Wrap this tray in another piece of aluminum foil with the Evoo, very tighly and cover the caramel pieces with the syrup.

11) Let sit for 2 hours covered.

12) Take the Ricotta and form with a mold, 1 or 2 heeping tablespoon ovals or any shape you wish.

13) Arrange the cheese in ovals or rounds, on a large large plate.

14) Arrange the berries around the cheese.

15) Drizzle the caramel syrup over the Cheese Ovals ..

16) Place the Caramel hardened jagged pieces randomly into the cheese ovals standing up.

Serve immediately with Espresso or Tea .. Or a glass of Semi Sweet Sparkling Wine ..

Enjoy.
Have a lovely weekend ..

Interesting dessert..I checked on google the image and I saw is also served with walnuts...

Interesting dessert..I checked on google the image and I saw is also served with walnuts...

@MypinchofItaly

Cataluna has never really been walnut producing until fairly recently. .

Tarragona is hazelnut producing and is the nut that we use more often ..

Spain is a big almond producer ..

It is a very simple but truly lovely & healthy dessert.

I usually make it during the Christmas holidays. I like to make my own Goat Cheese Ricotta for it ..

Also, depending on texture, I have seen récipes in which people add cream cheese however, I do not.

I like a firmer yet creamy texture ( and blend in ) a goat cheese ( a tablespoon + ) to keep the ovals from "falling apart " .. ( Ricotta is very soft ).

Have a wonderful weekend.

I will photograph the dessert when I prepare it .. I have a list ..

Thanks for visiting ..

Back
Top Bottom