Sandwich making (not really "cooking" but still food prep)

Zyni

Veteran
Local time
11:14 AM
Okay, so sandwich making may not technically be considered cooking, although some aspects of it may be (grilling, toasting bread, searing meat, melting cheese, etc.). Still, creating delectable, appealing, sandwiches is a bit of an art form, if you ask me. So, tell us about your best sandwiches.

For me, it all starts with great bread. Share you secrets!

Sandwiches are totally cooking!!! One of my favorites is a spin on an old classic BLT called the BLAST.
Bacon Aioli, Lettuce, Avocado, Sunflower sprouts, and Tomato on toasted wheat bread.

One of my very best sandwiches is a chip butty. But I don't think that's what is meant here! I wonder if anyone has made a gourmet chip butty? (@morning glory goes off to google gourmet chip butty)....

Quite a few hits out there, but none looked 'gourmet' to me. They all looked a bit gross. It might be a case of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

For the benefit of American friends, in the UK, chips are what you call home fries. What you call chips, we call crisps. A crisp butty is also good, especially with marmite. Oh dear, perhaps I just like non-gourmet sandwiches...

One of my very best sandwiches is a chip butty. But I don't think that's what is meant here! I wonder if anyone has made a gourmet chip butty? (@morning glory goes off to google gourmet chip butty)....

Quite a few hits out there, but none looked 'gourmet' to me. They all looked a bit gross. It might be a case of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

For the benefit of American friends, in the UK, chips are what you call home fries. What you call chips, we call crisps. A crisp butty is also good, especially with marmite. Oh dear, perhaps I just like non-gourmet sandwiches...

What kind of bread do you use, and how crisp do you fry the chips? I have never heard of these before.

Intriguing.......

What kind of bread do you use, and how crisp do you fry the chips? I have never heard of these before.

Intriguing.......
Well its a national institution in the UK. It has to be soft white bread. It can be crusty bread but I think traditonally (at least when I was a kid) it was just supermarket sliced white. The chips are best crispy (I think) but they must be standard sized chips not skinny French fries. The bread should be buttered and personally, I always have a good drizzle of brown sauce on top of the chips. In British cafes if you order a meal with chips it will often come with bread and butter so you can assemble your own butty. At least...that used to be the case! Nowadays even humble cafes are going gourmet. I think some roadside transport cafes would still serve meals like this.

I have a panini press that I absolutely love. It makes the best sandwiches. Grilled cheeses are so easy to make. On weekends we go to an Italian bakery and buy fresh paninis and cold cuts, cheese, pickled eggplants, pickled peppers and make grilled paninis for brunch. It's so much fun to make with the kids and so easy to clean up. Just wipe it with a wet rag and it's good to go.

My favorite sandwich is the classic BLT. I like to have it on Sunflower Flex bread or Honey Oat Bread. Then I have either mayo or honey mustard dressing with Romaine lettuce, tomatoes and bacon.
I sometimes add chicken or turkey if I have some left over from a previous meal which would then make it a Club.

My favorite sandwich is the classic BLT. I like to have it on Sunflower Flex bread or Honey Oat Bread. Then I have either mayo or honey mustard dressing with Romaine lettuce, tomatoes and bacon.
I sometimes add chicken or turkey if I have some left over from a previous meal which would then make it a Club.
I like BLT but am allergic to mayo. However I've now discovered mayo made from bean can juice (from another thread Vegan Mayo - update). Miraculous! I can now eat BLT.:D

That is so.cool...I really like that there always seems to be away around the things we really like. Enjoy!

Sandwiches are totally cooking!!! One of my favorites is a spin on an old classic BLT called the BLAST.
Bacon Aioli, Lettuce, Avocado, Sunflower sprouts, and Tomato on toasted wheat bread.
I like the sound of this Actually I love the sound of this. I just want to be able to make my own bread one day.

Okay, so sandwich making may not technically be considered cooking, although some aspects of it may be (grilling, toasting bread, searing meat, melting cheese, etc.). Still, creating delectable, appealing, sandwiches is a bit of an art form, if you ask me. So, tell us about your best sandwiches.

For me, it all starts with great bread. Share you secrets!
Zyni, I feel like you know all of my secrets, so there is nothing more for me to share. I do love an over the top tuna sandwich and some "GOURMET" bread. Someone mentioned panini and I love those as well. I am just trying to stay away from bread.

Well its a national institution in the UK. It has to be soft white bread. It can be crusty bread but I think traditonally (at least when I was a kid) it was just supermarket sliced white. The chips are best crispy (I think) but they must be standard sized chips not skinny French fries. The bread should be buttered and personally, I always have a good drizzle of brown sauce on top of the chips.
Oh Yeah +100 for that one !!! BUT the bread must be fresh even slightly stale and it's really a disaster. However if hungry you can add a fried egg for added substance [but you do have to be careful the bread doesn't fall apart as you're eating it]

My favorite sandwich is a melted ham and swiss on toasted bread. You have to get artisan bread to make it the best and then slather it with lots of mayo and a generous pile of shredded lettuce. My mouth is watering now for one!

When I make my burger on the grill, I make sure the bun goes in the griller too. I love the taste of a warm grilled bun. Sometimes I brush the buns with some butter.

Oh Yeah +100 for that one !!! BUT the bread must be fresh even slightly stale and it's really a disaster. However if hungry you can add a fried egg for added substance [but you do have to be careful the bread doesn't fall apart as you're eating it]
You are so right! It has to be like a moist pillow.

Back
Top Bottom