Sandwich making (not really "cooking" but still food prep)

Well, now you've all gone and made me hungry. I asked this question and then decided to swear off bread. lol. Bread is one of my downfalls. As if sweets weren't bad enough, bread is almost as bad, but I love it. I should probably never buy a panini press... but now I learned that you can do a lot of fun stuff with sandwiches using a waffle maker. I should probably hide my waffle maker.....

Roast Pork and Pickled Cucumber Sandwich

Make quick pickles by combining cucumber, vinegar, oil, brown sugar, salt, and pepper; they give the sandwich an extra zing.

1pound boneless pork loin
1/2teaspoon cayenne pepper
kosher salt and black pepper
1 cucumber, thinly sliced
3tablespoons cider vinegar
2tablespoons olive oil
2teaspoons brown sugar
1/3cup mayonnaise
4 Portuguese rolls, split

DIRECTIONS

Heat oven to 450° F. Season the pork with the cayenne and ¼ teaspoon salt. Roast on a rimmed baking sheet until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center reaches 145° F, 20 to 25 minutes; thinly slice.

Meanwhile, combine the cucumber, vinegar, oil, brown sugar, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and black pepper in a medium bowl.

Divide the mayonnaise, pork, and cucumber among the rolls.

My best sandwich is an egg sandwich (chopped boiled eggs, mayo, sweet pickles relish, grated cheese, salt and pepper to taste) that is put on top of fresh lettuce between two whole wheat toast bread. I always love preparing and eating this kind of sandwich.

That sandwich recipe sounds delicious, sky. I suppose that could be made via the "pulled pork" method as well, rather than slicing the meat, yes? This is an interesting recipe. I've been wanting to learn to make different types of pickles as well. Yum.

It drives me bonkers when I get sandwich at Subway and they flatten the heck out of it when cutting it in half. You don't need to put all your body weight on it to hold it in place while cutting. Learn how to cut a sandwich without destroying it. Also, no matter how much I ask them to "go easy" on the dressing, they always squirt almost an entire bottle on my sandwich. I may as well just grabbed a spoon and ate a whole jar of mayo.

I agree, a good bread is critical for a proper sandwich. No spongy cheap "wonder bread" - it simply cannot hold up when making a sandwich, and gets flat and soggy almost instantly. I prefer something like a crusty roll or ciabatta, otherwise a thick sliced crusty and toothy Italian bread. Something that's sturdy and with a nice chew to it.

I'm pretty much game for any type of heated sandwich - either under the broiler or in a panini press. One of my more recent favorites is with the individual ciabatta breads they sell at the Wal-Mart bakery. I put some spicy sauteed italian greens on the roll, and top it with a lot of shredded mozzarella. Then I put the top of the roll on, and brush it with some melted butter and hit it with a little garlic salt, before putting it in my panini maker. If I have some hot banana pepper rings, I will put them in there too.

You can make your sandwich really gourmet and artisan and people will take it seriously. LOL. Don't use any regular bread, toast it in olive oil and add a really pricey protein like kobe beef or salmon and there you go! Sandwich that can be sold at a restaurant. Sprinkle caviar for color.

Back
Top Bottom