Sandwich Shops

CraigC

Guru
Local time
7:48 PM
Do you have a favorite mom and pop sandwich shop? We've been going to a place called "The Pickle Barrel" and last Saturday we ordered take out. I had a pastrami on rye with kraut, Swiss cheese and deli mustard. It was the best pastrami I've ever had. The sandwich was so filling, I skipped dinner. I don't remember what Karen had, but she saved 1/2 for dinner.

Basically, a really local shop that is typically family owned and generally has few if any employees other than the children or other relatives - or perhaps a neighbor or three.

OK - got it. I'd say such sandwich shops are few and far between in the UK. Maybe in London and other major UK cities there are more independently owned sandwich shops, to cater for city workers. I think they are probably rapidly going out of business due to home working...

OK - got it. I'd say such sandwich shops are few and far between in the UK. Maybe in London and other major UK cities there are more independently owned sandwich shops, to cater for city workers. I think they are probably rapidly going out of business due to home working...

Yes, a lot are unfortunately going out of business. The sandwich oriented ones back in my old community in Connecticut - I don't know how they are faring. There aren't many sandwich-deli places up at my new home, but there are breakfast oriented local mom and pop diners nearby which are still alive (and that I support).

It is rumored that NYC will never return to what it once was. Working at home has proved that those high priced office spaces are no longer necessary. This in turn doesn't require people to live in over priced apartments etc. in the city which cuts down on folks eating at restaurants and such.

Hank Jr. probably said it best "Just send me to hell or NYC, it'd be about the same to me."

When I was a steel rep on the road, us three reps afters sales meeting on a Monday morning all drove off in different directions to meet up at a mom and dad shop. About 20 containers with what ever you wanted in a sammich. We would sit there and talk for an hour while eating. Great memories. We've had subway here for years and even a drive thru that recently closed. We also have the stalls in food courts as well. I don't buy that stuff.

Russ

It is rumored that NYC will never return to what it once was. Working at home has proved that those high priced office spaces are no longer necessary. This in turn doesn't require people to live in over priced apartments etc. in the city which cuts down on folks eating at restaurants and such.

Hank Jr. probably said it best "Just send me to hell or NYC, it'd be about the same to me."

I am hoping places in NYC like Little Italy, Arthur Avenue, the Flushing Chinatown area and the like DO survive. They are oases of mostly genuine food from the home countries. One sign in that favor is that they are NOT located near prime office space territory (although nothing livable to rent in NYC is "cheap"). But at least in those places you could already get reasonably-priced food, more or less.

My personal attitude to the city (that never sleeps), is a nice place to visit (food, museums), but I sure wouldn't want to live there! Even if I could afford it.

I am hoping places in NYC like Little Italy, Arthur Avenue, the Flushing Chinatown area and the like DO survive. They are oases of mostly genuine food from the home countries. One sign in that favor is that they are NOT located near prime office space territory (although nothing livable to rent in NYC is "cheap"). But at least in those places you could already get reasonably-priced food, more or less.

My personal attitude to the city (that never sleeps), is a nice place to visit (food, museums), but I sure wouldn't want to live there! Even if I could afford it.

I like NYC. Plenty to do, good independent food places. Some of the neighborhood bodegas make great sandwiches, and they are cheap.

CD

For some reason beyond my comprehension, my local town is bucking the trend. I can think of six independent sandwich shops in the town centre, plus a few more in outlying areas. McD's, Burger King and Pret a Manger have all closed down. We still have Subway, Greggs, M&S, Waitrose and Boots, all selling pre-made sandwiches, but the independents offer far better food if you are prepared to pay a small premium. They will all build your sandwich(or salad box) from scratch, and most have their own specialities plus daily specials. For me, the best sandwich in town is a pastrami, Stilton and dill pickle with green chilli mayo from this place:

I have noticed here over the last few years the major supermarkets have small displays of prepacked sarnies. Eating at your desk etc is not acceptable here. In the city of Split there are take away kiosks with wood grills or workers caffs. Sandwiches in general don't have much traction here. I have been known to buy one of these on a cold winters day in Zagreb.

We have a deli in town that is pretty good and I like her because I live in a very conservative area politically, and she's (the owner) what many people in my town would derisively describe as "a left-wing nutjob," and she loves stirring up trouble with the local powers-that-be, so I shoot her my business when I can. :)

We have a local chain, out of Dayton, I think, called Penn Station, that I like a lot. They're not cheap by any means, but quality never is. I like that when you order fries/chips with your sandwich, the guy behind the counter grabs a couple of potatoes, runs them through a hand-slicer, and then into the fat. Nothing sitting around under heat lamps.

I like NYC. Plenty to do, good independent food places. Some of the neighborhood bodegas make great sandwiches, and they are cheap.

CD

Yes, bodegas and those small hole in the wall deli's are usually good in NYC. Plus I still have a few friends who live down there, and it is nice to arrange to get together with them for the day. Which will be harder from Massachusetts than it was from Connecticut.

We have a deli in town that is pretty good and I like her because I live in a very conservative area politically, and she's (the owner) what many people in my town would derisively describe as "a left-wing nutjob," and she loves stirring up trouble with the local powers-that-be, so I shoot her my business when I can. :)

We have a local chain, out of Dayton, I think, called Penn Station, that I like a lot. They're not cheap by any means, but quality never is. I like that when you order fries/chips with your sandwich, the guy behind the counter grabs a couple of potatoes, runs them through a hand-slicer, and then into the fat. Nothing sitting around under heat lamps.

Left wing nut job, lmao. Automatically reminded me of my brother in law. He's older than me and has got thru life doing nothing. He's been to India to help the hare khrishnas for a year, about 35 years ago. Latched onto a rich left wing oddball. He lives a life on a lifestyle block. She still works, but my b.i.l
Doesn't. Drove a Skoda, which I got to tow him home every time he broke down. At least 30 times, stayed with his mum prior to meeting the rich bird. We invited him to Xmas lunch one year, was a no show. Boxing Day he turned up for Xmas. He had slept for two days. Still pops in once every 2 or 3 years. I tolerate him.

Russ

Left wing nut job, lmao.
To be clear, if things were reversed and I lived in a politically liberal area, and if she were a "right wing nutjob" stirring up trouble for the locals, I'd go to her as well. It's not about the politics, it's about making whomever's in charge just a little uncomfortable in their position. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom