Sandwiches around the world

Oh my, those do sound dull. I like simple sandwiches, but not boring. And margarine... yes, ugh.

A good french baguette, sliced, with some good prosciutto or jamon, some good cheese, and perhaps a French Dijon or German stone-ground mustard is simple, but tasty. I have had that for lunch many times. Simple, but not dull.

CD

Exactly, nothing wrong with simplicity if it's well done.

Sandwiches in my country are generally pretty dull. Most people eat a daily stack of about 6 for lunch at work ( we have no hot meal for lunch culture) and it's usually just plain bread with margarine ( ugh) , cheese or sliced deli meat and not even a lettuce leaf. More ' exotic ' toppings include peanut butter or sandwich spread.

I think I mentioned it before, but your post reminds me of this hilarious Norwegian fellow who does videos, lightly poking fun at how "boring" his culture and his fellow Norwegians are.

One of the videos, he talks about the typical Norwegian's favorite lunch, which is a slice of bread, some butter or marg, and a slice of processed cheese ("brown cheese").

It's the way he describes it that has me rolling (paraphrasing):

"So now I am in Norway, working away at my desk, so happy! And now lunch! Yes, lunch! And we take our lunch that we packed, and...we are so disappointed! Bread and brown cheese! So sad! But we are happy! Why? Because Norwegians looove to be disappointed! We are happiest when we are disappointed, so we pack this lunch every day, knowing it will make us sad, which makes us so happy to be so sad!"

:laugh:

Oh my... haha, “baloney”, sounds so funny..:laugh:

...and keep in mind that "baloney" is a milder form of "bullsh*t," as in, "Did you hear about the latest news from the government? What a load of baloney!"

I think I mentioned it before, but your post reminds me of this hilarious Norwegian fellow who does videos, lightly poking fun at how "boring" his culture and his fellow Norwegians are.

One of the videos, he talks about the typical Norwegian's favorite lunch, which is a slice of bread, some butter or marg, and a slice of processed cheese ("brown cheese").

It's the way he describes it that has me rolling (paraphrasing):

"So now I am in Norway, working away at my desk, so happy! And now lunch! Yes, lunch! And we take our lunch that we packed, and...we are so disappointed! Bread and brown cheese! So sad! But we are happy! Why? Because Norwegians looove to be disappointed! We are happiest when we are disappointed, so we pack this lunch every day, knowing it will make us sad, which makes us so happy to be so sad!"

:laugh:

...and keep in mind that "baloney" is a milder form of "bullsh*t," as in, "Did you hear about the latest news from the government? What a load of baloney!"

I almost mentioned the other meaning of "baloney," but thought that one may be more international. To be "full of baloney" means you are saying things that are full of falsehoods, nonsense or foolishness.

CD

This "sandwich" was presented to my inlaws on their 14 hour bus journey overnight. It wasn't a cheap bus service either.

You'd really have to live here and be raised in the local culture to get why that's a little funny.

Fried bologna sandwiches are something of a religion here, and you'll fall into one of two groups: several thin slices of lunch meat fried crisp, or one thick slice charred but still soft in the middle. But the one thing everyone agrees upon...a fried bologna sandwich is dressed with mustard. Plain American yellow mustard. Nothing else. White sandwich bread, fried meat, yellow mustard. Period. End of. Stop.

Of course, you can find places that try to do things like use whole-grain bread, and add tomatoes or cheese or something, but any old-timer or true local knows, "that ain't no fried baloney sandwich!"

So the idea of mortadella and "authentic Italian white bread," and "gourmet mustard," it just shows that, even when trying to be fancy, we just can't help ourselves. It's still got to be white bread, fried meat, and mustard, no matter how we pretty it up. :)

Here the mortadella sandwich is simple, bread and mortadella, stop.
But there is also a fried version of it, which I prepare myself and have prepared a few times, even posting a couple of photos here in the forum.
I refer to the mortadella cutlet.
Obviously it is not the thin slices with which a sandwich is stuffed, but a piece of mortadella cut a little thick and frying like a cutlet.
What then is put in a sandwich can also be, and who knows, maybe even with mustard, even if my sixth taste tells me that it is easier to be eaten served in a dish with salad to lighten the dish.

But surely the fried mortadella put in a sandwich is something I could also experience here, why not? And in one of the thousand authentic Italian white bread...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom