Recipe Saucisson au chocolat

Wandering Bob

Über Member
Local time
8:26 PM
A favourite post-ride snack. I think it's an old Portuguese (or possibly Spanish) recipe that would have contained sherry. Anyway, here's a contemporary French version of an old Iberian recipe. I haven't been able to provide absolute UK/US translations of all the ingredients, but I'm sure you could work them out.

200g chocolate (I used Tablette d’Or: Corsé, but any bitter chocolate would work)
100g butter
100g sucre glace (I'm sure that's icing sugar)
1 egg
10 marshmallows (chamallow in French)
150g of broken dry biscuits (type sables)

optionally: 50g of plump raisins (Lexia would be great, if you can find/afford them)

Melt the chocolate & butter in a bain-marie. Let it cool for about 20/25 mins. Once sufficiently cool, add the egg and mix very well, then add the sucre glace (I did this slowly).

Cut the biscuits into little bits. I did this ‘biscuit by biscuit’ by hand and it takes a while. Maybe there are other, quicker ways ? Wrap in a tea towel and smash with a rolling pin?

Cut each cube of marshmallow into six (or 7 or 8 or..)

Then mix everything together in a large mixing bowl (and add the raisins if you're using them).

Take a piece of aluminium foil – about 30cm long. Put the mix onto it and then bend the foil to make the form of a sausage (or log). This is harder than it sounds

Put in the fridge for 6 hours - it should be solid.

upload_2018-7-13_22-28-6.png

Looks interesting a sounds as if it would be quite a rich tasting cake. Funnily enough I was eyeing up some marshmallows in Aldi the other day a wondering what I could do with them. Personally I don't have a sweet tooth but my daughter would appreciate this I think.

Does it have a biscotti like texture?

If by that you mean do the dry biscuits have a 'biscotti texture' then yes - but the saucisson itself is a pleasing mélange of different tastes and textures. Chocolaty of course, but taken to a different level with the slightly softened biscuits and the almost fondant nature of the marshmallows.

I'm tempted to add that it tastes even better after a 100-kilometre bike ride, but there again, most things do....

I gave up drinking alcohol 16 years ago, but the biscotti reference reminded me of vin santo. That was a lovely combination - I'd forgotten all about it

I was eyeing up some marshmallows in Aldi the other day a wondering what I could do with them.

I'd never bought marshmallows before in my life - but they're great in the saucisson. I still haven't found another use for them though

I added the raisins on my 3rd or 4th go at this recipe - I have happy childhood memories of Cadbury's Fruit & Nut, but it took me a while to find the right raisins. I started out looking for Lexia raisins - I finally tracked down a UK-based supplier on Amazon UK: £25 per kilo, would you believe, and they wouldn't ship to France anyway, so I gave up. I used to buy Lexia raisins in Neal's Yard in Covent Garden - but that was 30-something years ago - do you ever use Lexia's?

Never tried then - I'm thinking they are the big plump ones?

Yes they are - and I think they're from Australia (muscatel grape) although there may also be some Californian growers/suppliers. I can only assume that the cost of shipping them to the UK explains the very high cost. But if you do see them - possibly in a Holland & Barrett - then give them a try (unless they're stupidly pricy)

Yes they are - and I think they're from Australia (muscatel grape) although there may also be some Californian growers/suppliers. I can only assume that the cost of shipping them to the UK explains the very high cost. But if you do see them - possibly in a Holland & Barrett - then give them a try (unless they're stupidly pricy)

Will do..

A favourite post-ride snack. I think it's an old Portuguese (or possibly Spanish) recipe that would have contained sherry. Anyway, here's a contemporary French version of an old Iberian recipe. I haven't been able to provide absolute UK/US translations of all the ingredients, but I'm sure you could work them out.

200g chocolate (I used Tablette d’Or: Corsé, but any bitter chocolate would work)
100g butter
1 egg

optionally: 50g of plump raisins (Lexia would be great, if you can find/afford them)

Melt the chocolate & butter in a bain-marie. Let it cool for about 20/25 mins. Once sufficiently cool, add the egg and mix very well, then add the sucre glace (I did this slowly).

Cut the biscuits into little bits. I did this ‘biscuit by biscuit’ by hand and it takes a while. Maybe there are other, quicker ways ? Wrap in a tea towel and smash with a rolling pin?

Then mix everything together in a large mixing bowl (and add the raisins if you're using them).

Take a piece of aluminium foil – about 30cm long. Put the mix onto it and then bend the foil to make the form of a sausage (or log). This is harder than it sounds

View attachment 17356

100g butter
1 egg

View attachment 17356

Very good! Except for the marshmallows, this seems just the Italian chocolate salami .. In fact saucisson (salsicciotto) - salami.
I also prepare it and it is of a moving goodness ...

Very good! Except for the marshmallows, this seems just the Italian chocolate salami .. In fact saucisson (salsicciotto) - salami.
I also prepare it and it is of a moving goodness ...

Maybe it's only you and I who have noticed that the inside of it resembles a good saucisson/salami.

I could eat my version of this every day of the week. And often do.

Do you want to share your recipe for Italian chocolate salami; please ?

Back
Top Bottom