Savory Ideas for Walnuts

lizzief79

Veteran
Local time
12:48 PM
I am really into eating walnuts at the moment. I make a decent banana and walnut loaf and have also been adding them to my homemade coleslaw. Does anyone have any tasty savory ideas for using walnuts? The only other thing I have tried is stuffed zucchini (courgettes). I scooped out the zucchini and add cherry tomatoes, walnuts and cheese and then baked in the oven.

Last weekend my friends and I went out to this neat pizza place where they let you choose your own toppings, and caramel-coated (or honey-coated) walnuts turned out to taste really good with a savory pizza! The sweetness brought out the saltiness of the cheese and meat, and the starchiness of the nut held it all together. Walnuts have a lot of vitamin B in them, too.

Tofu and walnut can make a great base for a vegetarian meatloaf or burger, with chiaseed or flaxeed and water to substitute egg. I haven't quite figured out what to add to make it taste meaty, though... other than salt and pepper, which just makes it taste like tofu walnut with salt and pepper.

Walnuts can be used in all types of salad and chopped into oil based salad dressings. They also go well with chopped celery in a slaw.

You can also bake bread with walnut pieces. You could make walnut bread rolls to go with soup or slice a loaf of walnut bread to make sandwiches.

I agree with Food4thought... a Waldorf salad specifically comes to my mind.... yum!

Back
Top Bottom