Sayings: logical/illogical/translated

Another one we heard a lot in the military: “Shit rolls downhill” - meaning when your supervisor’s supervisor gave them something unpleasant to do, it was eventually going to make it to you…but if you were lucky, maybe you had someone under you that you could pass it along to. :laugh:
I've heard that one a lot.

I’m a little surprised by the “come to Jesus” one, as I’ve even heard that in TV shows. The reason I posted it was because my manager’s manager said it in a group meeting earlier this week. He was late joining our meeting and said he’d “…just had a come to Jesus meeting with <his manager>.” :laugh:

I do think there is a somewhat similar saying in the UK - “home truths,” like “I’m going to tell you a few home truths!” - I’m about to tell you something about yourself, and you’re not going to like it.

We used to watch Eastenders when we lived there (gritty UK soap) and I think that phrase was said in just about every episode! :laugh:
It might be that if I found a saying absurd or just didn't want to hear it, it might have just "gone in one ear and out the other". I am sure you have heard that one before!

Kick the bucket
Pop your clogs
Shuffled off
Brown bread
Snuffed it
Six feet under

I typed they all mean popped your clogs 😆 That's how ingrained they are 😁

With the exception of 'brown bread' which is one my Pa uses most I use all of those euphemisms.
And 'pushing up daisies'

See
Seeing the grass grow from the other side (het gras van de andere kant zien groeien)
Yes, in the USA they say "the grass is always greener on the other side" so basically the same thing.

Yes, in the USA they say "the grass is always greener on the other side" so basically the same thing.
Ah, but mine meant to be buried...
Correct me if I am wrong, but "the grass is greener", means it always looks/seems better elsewhere" (but I don't think from 6 feet under applies)

Da's de waarheid als een koe
(That's as true as a cow)
Meaning: It's just absolutely true
Just don't ask me what the cow has to do with it :wink:

Now we're talking animals, what about "It's brass monkeys out there!" I always thought that was an obscene expression (didnt stop me using it, mind), but apparently the "monkey" was a brass structure where cannonballs were kept on a ship, and the cannonballs would shrink in extreme cold.

One I use often - donkeys years meaning a long time.
Here in my area, we’d say “a (ra)coon’s age.”

Food related "he's got hollow legs"... meant he can eat an awful lot.
We say that as well, but it’s just the one leg, and it’s usually in reference to booze, not food.

Another colorful one - “a fart in a whirlwind” and it has two meanings; either something that’s meaningless (“Don’t worry about that, it’s just a fart in a whirlwind”), or someone with a lot of nervous energy, running around back and forth, like crazy (“Look at him, won’t you? He’s like a fart in a whirlwind!”).

Ah, but mine meant to be buried...
Correct me if I am wrong, but "the grass is greener", means it always looks/seems better elsewhere" (but I don't think from 6 feet under applies)

Da's de waarheid als een koe
(That's as true as a cow)
Meaning: It's just absolutely true
Just don't ask me what the cow has to do with it :wink:
Oh you are absolutely correct on that. It's more about envy. Here's what tripped me up:
See
Seeing the grass grow from the other side (het gras van de andere kant zien groeien)
I took that to mean literally "the other side" which to me meant more like "over there". Verbiage can be so tricky at times, especially when translating from another language.

Back
Top Bottom