Sayings: logical/illogical/translated

Another one - “I don’t know him from Adam,” or conversely, “You don’t know me from Adam,” meaning the person in question is unknown or a stranger.

“You don’t know me from Adam, but if I was you, I wouldn’t buy that hammer, I’d get that other one there,” or “I’d swear that’s my cousin Bobby, but getting a closer look…nope, I don’t know him from Adam.”

Has no one mentioned "Bless her/his heart" which is a loaded one.

In the south USA it can be kind: "Bless his heart, his wife done run off with another man and now he's raisin' four children on his own." Oh which also means "single ladies, he's up for grabs." The latter is not terribly kind though.

But more often than not, it's a disguised disparaging comment: " Bless her heart, she don't know that dress makes her look as big as the side of a barn."

Has no one mentioned "Bless her/his heart" which is a loaded one.

In the south USA it can be kind: "Bless his heart, his wife done run off with another man and now he's raisin' four children on his own." Oh which also means "single ladies, he's up for grabs." The latter is not terribly kind though.

But more often than not, it's a disguised disparaging comment: " Bless her heart, she don't know that dress makes her look as big as the side of a barn."
That's very similar meaning to here.
Except it's shortened to just "Aw bless"
It can mean thankyou as in 'bless you for the kind thing you've done'.

It's often applied to a clueless person who doesn't know any better (like your dress comment) or often to the elderly or unwell who can't help themselves but because of the latter "Aw bless" is often used as a backhanded insult/complement where you're left staring at the other person knowing they've insulted/patronised you and you are unable to respond!

They usually give away it's a deliberate insult if they think they've got away with it by smirking.

"Bless" is one of my least favourite millennial phrases along with calling everyone "babes"

My bezzie is my age (51) but didn't have children until much later, consequently she spends a lot of time with other millennial (or younger) mums and I find the way she speaks now quite irritating.

I can't quite figure out why I find it annoying, I don't have a problem with someone from that generation speaking in their cohorts vernacular but I do with her adopting it.

Maybe it feels disingenuous? There's a bit of me that looks at her and thinks why are you talking that way?
But of course you'd adopt the language of the crowd you're running with. I just can't help but think your not in your thirties matey stop trying to kid yourself with youth speak. I half expect her to announce she's down with the kids 😆

That's very similar meaning to here.
Except it's shortened to just "Aw bless"
It can mean thankyou as in 'bless you for the kind thing you've done'.

It's often applied to a clueless person who doesn't know any better (like your dress comment) or often to the elderly or unwell who can't help themselves but because of the latter "Aw bless" is often used as a backhanded insult/complement where you're left staring at the other person knowing they've insulted/patronised you and you are unable to respond!

They usually give away it's a deliberate insult if they think they've got away with it by smirking.

"Bless" is one of my least favourite millennial phrases along with calling everyone "babes"

My bezzie is my age (51) but didn't have children until much later, consequently she spends a lot of time with other millennial (or younger) mums and I find the way she speaks now quite irritating.

I can't quite figure out why I find it annoying, I don't have a problem with someone from that generation speaking in their cohorts vernacular but I do with her adopting it.

Maybe it feels disingenuous? There's a bit of me that looks at her and thinks why are you talking that way?
But of course you'd adopt the language of the crowd you're running with. I just can't help but think your not in your thirties matey stop trying to kid yourself with youth speak. I half expect her to announce she's down with the kids 😆
Over here the millennials and youth say things like "that's fire" but thankfully I don't know anyone close to my age who does.

Over here the millennials and youth say things like "that's fire" but thankfully I don't know anyone close to my age who does.
We don't have that one I don't think? Or maybe we do and I've not picked up on it 🤔

One things for sure Tiktok is going to be bridging the language gap for the younger gens in a way we could never have imagined!

So the ones I'm aware of (and don't quote me because I could well have got the meanings wrong 😆) are -
Calm means good
Cheugy means trying too hard looks wise and it doesn't work.
Slay means looking good
Sic means cool
Salty means irritable
Lit means exciting or amazing, I assume as in lit up?

There's more but I can't remember them, in fact I'm irritated I have those ones taking up valuable brain cells 🤣

Back
Top Bottom