sea salt vs saxa salt

Yes, but don't adjust the amount. The volume of anti-caking agent isn't significant enough to make a difference. There will be a taste difference though but I doubt increasing the salt content will make much difference especially given that the recipe only asks for ¼ tsp. I expect it is more so with expectations of what you think it should taste like as opposed to what buckwheat actually tastes of. I assume your buckwheat was raw groats that you ground yourself, not ready made flour?

The typical buckwheat flour sold in stores is made from roasted buckwheat groats, and will NOT work in my recipes.

Personally I prefer unadulterated salt but without knowing which sea salt you were using not all of sea salt is pure NaCl. Celtic grey sea salt contains other mineral salts in addition to NaCl which I actually prefer to 100% NaCl sea salts such as Malden Sea Salt. To me it has more taste.

I prefer sea salt to commercial varieties whenever possible. Yes, it´s just salt (NaCl), but I swear sea salt actually has a better flavour (probably to do with trace elements).

I used this flour. I thought that organic would mean it's not pre-roasted.
Doves Farm | Organic Flours & Foods
I have a blender, but I don't think it could groats into the consistency of flour. I also have a coffee grinder which I use for spices. Do you think either of those could work?
How would I grind chia seeds? I don't think either of the above would work, so I just used them whole.
I've emailed Doves Farm to ask if their flour is from roasted or unroasted groats. Similarly hulled or unhulled.

Last edited:
I used this flour. I thought that organic would mean it's not pre-roasted.
I have a blender, but I don't think it could groats into the consistency of flour. I also have a coffee grinder which I use for spices. Do you think either of those could work?
How would I grind chia seeds? I don't think either of the above would work, so I just used them whole.
I've emailed Doves Farm to ask if their flour is from roasted or unroasted groats. Similarly hulled or unhulled.
They do tell you how on the page

To grind raw buckwheat flour, add 2 to 3 cups of raw buckwheat groats to a high-powered blender and blend until you have a fine flour. You can do this in a coffee grinder as well, ½-cup at a time.

My 'blender' has a dedicated smaller bowl for grinding work. Do you have different sized jugs or bowls for it?

I do suspect that some of the issues are too do with the flour. I've found this on their website in their FAQs.

Q: Why is your buckwheat flour lighter in colour compared to others in the market place?
When we mill buckwheat, we do so by removing the rough outer hull first. Our Buckwheat Flour contains all of the grain including the bran, but hardly any pieces of the outer hull and as a result, this makes the flour appear lighter in colour.
And this
Q: Why is there a statement on my pack of flour that I need to cook it before consumption?
Flour is obtained from raw materials like buckwheat and rice that are grown in fields in a natural environment. Whilst these raw materials go through extensive cleaning processes before being made into flour, there is no heat treatment of the flour and there is a very small possibility that harmful bacteria may remain. That’s why we always recommend you cook flour before consumption - just like it’s recommended to wash vegetables before eating them

I think the likelihood is that UK buckwheat flour isn't the same as USA buckwheat flour and certainly isn't the same as the raw groats because in this case, Dove Farms remove the seed case resulting in a paler raw flour.

Sincerely, I doubt you would be able to achieve the fine flour consistency with a home blender or spice blender. I´ve tried, and the consistency is far too coarse.

Wow so much to know about salt. We arent big on salt here, we use sparingly. Although I love it on my tomato on toast.
I need to learn more.
Russ

Dove's farm replied to my email as follows: "Our buckwheat flour is milled with unroasted hulled buckwheat groats."

Are there any herbs or spices with a similar flavour to buckwheat flour.

For a reason that escapes me at the present time, I have iodised salt (which I call table salt), sea salt, fleur de sel and pink Himalayan rock salt. I don't have Kosher salt because I haven't got a clue what it is.

Back
Top Bottom