Seasoning Problem

billmarsano

Local time
5:57 PM
It took only a moment of neglect to ruin the seasoning of my new pre-seasoned skillet--right in the middle there's a 'bald' spot where everything sticks immediately. What do I do now? Can the spot itself be re-seasoned? Do I have to scrape the whole thing down to bare metal and start over? Help, please.

cast iron?
"pre-seasoned" is a myth. they coat it with some oil to prevent rusting, and call it "seasoned"

use it to cook fatty stuff - sausage, pork, beef chuck, etc - and as it improves, use it for high temp searing: little oil+meat.
no special oils / fats / whatever required - lard and/or vegetable/olive oil - whatever you normally use.
getting a good seasoning on cast iron takes time / use to build up.

this is my 'moment of inattention' - flaked off. just kept using and it rebuilds....
1714934870072.jpeg

I’m another one who says you don’t need to take it down to metal.

What I do in that case is heat the pan in my oven as it’s coming up to temp (500F) - take it out at around 300F.

Then I get about 1/4 teaspoon vegetable shortening, wipe that all over the inside with a paper towel, then back in the oven for an hour or so, shut it off, let it cool down, then do that a couple of more times and it patches the “hole” fine - and then I make sure I cook a bunch of high-fat stuff in it for a few days, and it’s good as new.

Seasoning cast iron - it’s another one of those things that seems to be controversial, though it shouldn’t be. Everyone has their way of doing it, and it’s the only right way and every other way is wrong, but it really comes down to heat, fat, and time. If you just keep cooking fatty stuff in it, it’ll heal up on its own eventually.

Check if you can remove the bald spot from the seasoning without affecting the rest of the seasoned surface of the pan. Try using a soft sponge or brush to remove the 'bald spot', being careful not to damage the surrounding seasoned surface.

Back
Top Bottom