Share your first cooking experience.

swalia

Veteran
Local time
9:27 AM
I was in high school when I cooked for the first time. My mom suddenly fell ill and had to be hospitalized. My father had to be with her and there was nobody else at home. There was no internet those days where I could turn for guidance. So I opted to make simple 'khichdi' and tried to cook it as I remembered my mother doing it. But I put half the water than was required. It didn't turn out the way i should have been but it was still palatable. My father praised me for my first effort in kitchen and that made my day.

I remember the first time I cooked my first meal was when my mom went away on a cruise for a weekend. I had watched her cooking before, so I had an idea on what to do. I had even helped her out in the kitchen before, so it was not hard for me to cook on my own. I just took my time and, in the end, everything came out fine, and my dad, as well as my grand dad who was living at us at the time, enjoyed the meal. I even cooked a meal for my mom when she was scheduled to return home from the cruise and she was quite satisfied with it. Before this, though, I used to cook vegetables on my own. That was the first thing I ever learned to cook.

I baked a macaroni pie for a group of people as my mom had gone off to the market to sell her produce and would be gone all day. I just stepped up to the plate and prepared the dish. I think it was a little fresh but it was the beginning of great things to come.

I do not remember cooking much as a kid because that was always my mom's thing around the house. She loves to be in her kitchen cooking so that room was always kind of off limits to us. I cooked in high school as we took a home and family class and I think the first thing I cooked was a basic spaghetti.

I would cook family tea from early age ,on the table by 5.10 on the return of my mother , she would do all the preperation in the morning, I would use deep fat fryers , grill hob and oven

The first time I ever cooked at home was when I was about 8 or 9 years old in 1975 when I made shortbread from an old old copy of the Be-Ro home recipe booklet my mother used.

The Be-Ro booklets used to come out every year and you could buy them from the Be-Ro flour company via mail if memory serves me right.

These old books sell for a premium on eBay now because of their nostalgia value (everyone's mother or grandmother had one tucked away in a kitchen drawer or cupboard) AND because if you want fantastic home cooked meals and deserts just like they used to be these books are a gold mine.

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 269
Back
Top Bottom