Should mushrooms ever be washed?

My grandmother is Russian and she taught me to cook fried potatoes with girolles. They do not get mushy at all. As was mentioned it's just a myth. When I visited her in Russia we she told me even how to cook porcini mushroom sauce with russian sour cream. And we always washed all the kinds of mushrooms

My grandmother is Russian and she taught me to cook fried potatoes with girolles. They do not get mushy at all. As was mentioned it's just a myth. When I visited her in Russia we she told me even how to cook porcini mushroom sauce with russian sour cream. And we always washed all the kinds of mushrooms
Hi, WELCOME, hope you will stick around and join in other discussions.

The only thing worse smelling than a commercial mushroom barn is a commercial chicken barn. :thumbsdown:

CD

Has anyone had the misfortune of having to walk by a commercial mushroom barn that happens to be directly across from a commercial chicken barn and lived to tell about it?

If they're kind of dirty and I'm just plopping them in a soup, I'll place them under running water, especially if they're just button mushrooms, or other tightly-closed fresh varietals.
If the gills are exposed, I'll gently pat/wipe them with a clean paper towel, regardless of the cooking method.

If I'm going to saute them and have to wash them thoroughly, I'll then put them in a salad spinner with a dry paper towel, then dry them off with a clean paper towel, keeping the gills as dry as possible beforehand.

If they are not going directly into a liquid, I'll then let them sit out near the warm stove if I can prepare them ahead of time, and/or time permits.

I'm sort of more concerned with the potential fingers that may have originally picked or handled them, in a plant that is less hygienically oriented than stricter ones, or the potential floors they've dropped on before I get them home, then I am with the dirt that may be on them, although depending on the amount of dirt, that's kind of a factor as well, as it may alter the flavor of some dishes.

I worked in the grocery business for many years, many moons ago, and saw some things I wish I hadn't by today's standards.

Back
Top Bottom