Show me your breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that only Yorkshire folk and a few Australians call them pikelets. The rest of the English speaking world call them crumpets.

I understand that only Yorkshire folk and a few Australians call them pikelets. The rest of the English speaking world call them crumpets.
My grandfather was Staffordshire born and bred, and he always called them pikelets, I know not why. We rediscovered them last winter, and reinstated an old tradition of eating them on a Sunday evening, toasted over a real fire until crispy, then slathered with a big knob of cold butter. Total comfort food.

Last edited:
My grandfather was Staffordshire born and bred, and he always called them pikelets, I know not why. We rediscovered them last winter, and reinstated an old tradition of eating them on a Sunday evening, toasted over a really fire until crispy, then slathered with a big knob of cold butter. Total comfort food.

I want some now!

Bran flakes prunes and banana with honey on them...before any milk
P1000696.JPG

My grandfather was Staffordshire born and bred, and he always called them pikelets, I know not why. We rediscovered them last winter, and reinstated an old tradition of eating them on a Sunday evening, toasted over a real fire until crispy, then slathered with a big knob of cold butter. Total comfort food.

After getting them crispy, you need to "cut into" the surface to allow the butter access to the softer "bread" below.

I think I'm going to start eating them again!

It varies, usually 7 or 8. However, in the last 7 days I've eaten only 4 I think. Must rectify that with a three egg omelette.
so few? what's wrong?

see below

curious because in this household (from Staffordshire/Cheshire and a touch of southern wales), pikelets are something different. Crumpets are made with yeast, pikelets are not, nor do they use a crumpet ring to make them (yes, crumpet rings exist). I think I have uploaded our family recipe for pikelets onto here already. They are similar but not the same as drop scones. I'm kind of fancying them for breakfast now - I'll have to blame it on you you know.
darn it, just realised that they need golden syrup which I don't have. I'll have to use maple instead.

OK - we are sinning today...

pikelets, coconut yoghurt and maple syrup - when my OH gets up that is..

View attachment 8096
I have just looked up 'pikelets' and you are quite correct. Oddly enough, most of the top search hits were from Australian sites! So they are more of a sweet dish, like drop scones or Scotch pancakes, or the ones Americans eat with bacon and maple syrup?

If you were from the north of the county (I was not) you'll no doubt be more familiar with the Staffordshire oatcake? I didn't experience this fine food until I was in my twenties and involved with a Potteries girl.

If you were from the north of the county (I was not) you'll no doubt be more familiar with the Staffordshire oatcake? I didn't experience this fine food until I was in my twenties and involved with a Potteries girl.
know them exceptionally well and have taken to making my own over here! My husband can take them or leave them but prefers them served with an Indian curry inside them!
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/traditional-staffordshire-oatcakes.9067/
Ironically the best place for Oatcakes is the little spar up in the Westlands in n/c. they sell the best oatcakes of all, High Lane oatcakes (who are over in Burslem). I forget the name of the road the spar/premiere is on, but it is the one that runs from n/c to Keele, but before you get to the Thistleberry pub before the keele roundabout at the bottom of Keele Bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom