Show me your breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Commercial flocks in the UK have to be vaccinated against salmonella; one reason why we don't have to keep our eggs in the fridge.
Yes, that Edwina Currie incident back in the late 80's was disastrous for producers at the time, but led to a big clean up of the egg producing industry here in the UK. Now salmonella has been virtually eradicated and you are more likely to be poisoned by bagged salad leaves or beansprouts than by raw egg.

Yes, that Edwina Currie incident back in the late 80's was disastrous for producers at the time, but led to a big clean up of the egg producing industry here in the UK. Now salmonella has been virtually eradicated and you are more likely to be poisoned by bagged salad leaves or beansprouts than by raw egg.
A friend's restaurant was closed down about 20 years ago because several customers got food poisoning. It was traced to the bagged salad that they had been using - not their fault at all. Since then, however, I have always washed bagged veg, no matter how "ready to eat" the supermarkets insist it is.

Breakfast today. Brought to the boil from tepid, boil for 1 minute, stand for 2¼ minutes, dunk in tepid water, peel.

duck eggs toast 1 s.jpg

duck eggs toast 2 s.jpg

Duck eggs.

Last edited:
Breakfast today. Brought to the boil from tepid, boil for 1 minute, stand for 2¼ minutes, dunk in tepid water, peel.

View attachment 9105

View attachment 9106

Duck eggs.

This reminds me of dishy mother made me when we were on holidays. She soft boiled eggs only to find that there were no eggs cups. So she scooped the eggs out of their shells into a bowl with our toast soldiers. I was 6yo & still remember exactly how those eggs tasted.

I have the perfect macchiato cups here that would be perfect for those gorgeous soft boiled duck eggs. Yum.

My Mum always used to give me pullets' eggs. They sat nicely in my egg cups, which are quite tiny in comparison to all my other [modern] ones. They actually held small Easter eggs, about the size of a Cadbury's creme egg. How the egg cups survived all these years, I do not know - they are now about 65 years old, and are no longer used but sit on a shelf with other ornaments.

WP_20170716_22_41_24_Pro.jpg

I comparison, the egg cups my Mum, Dad, brother and sisters used were enormous. A modern day "large" egg would disappear into the depths. Unfortunately none of these egg cups survived, but I remember two of them were china chickens, one green and one gold. I can't remember the others but they were similar.

That looks lovely!
They taste even better! I don't put any salt or sugar in the pancakes (just 1 mug of whey, 1 mug of plain flour, 1 egg, and a small pinch of bicarb) - just rely on the natural sweetness of the blackberries. And of course my yoghurt is home made - no sugar added! They are quite filling because they are not thin like British pancakes.

I just love bacon and mushroom sarnies but personally I wouldn't put ketchup or any other sauce near one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom