Show me your dining room!

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
7:36 AM
Here's mine:

I don't have a dining room. Just an eat-in kitchen.

My last house had both a formal dining room, and a large eat-in kitchen. The formal dinging room was full of Ethan-Allen furniture. I think we used it once every two or three years. What a waste that was.

CD

Yeah, my table and chairs are not much better other than it's World Market. The table looks pretty but nothing particularly special. We had an old table from the late 1800's that I loved but it was spindly and needed work. It's in one of the garage bays, I suppose I should just sell it to someone who can fix it up and appreciate it.

I guess the main reason I like my dining room is because of the plants, and it's an open room from the kitchen to the dining room so when we do (did) entertain everyone is in the same room. My husband has a large family. Sigh. Those days might be gone forever.

Yeah, my table and chairs are not much better other than it's World Market. The table looks pretty but nothing particularly special. We had an old table from the late 1800's that I loved but it was spindly and needed work. It's in one of the garage bays, I suppose I should just sell it to someone who can fix it up and appreciate it.

I guess the main reason I like my dining room is because of the plants, and it's an open room from the kitchen to the dining room so when we do (did) entertain everyone is in the same room. My husband has a large family. Sigh. Those days might be gone forever.

Our formal dining room was separated from the kitchen, like they were traditionally. Our kitchen table could expand to seat 8 people (with a couple folding chairs), so we always ate there when family and friends came over. Plus we had a young niece, and the kitchen had hard floors, not carpet like the dining room. I restored an antique high-chair for her, and our two dogs sat on either side, and cleaned up any mess our nice made.

If you have young children, and you don't want to mop the floor after every meal, you need a dog.

CD

Our formal dining room was separated from the kitchen, like they were traditionally. Our kitchen table could expand to seat 8 people (with a couple folding chairs), so we always ate there when family and friends came over. Plus we had a young niece, and the kitchen had hard floors, not carpet like the dining room. I restored an antique high-chair for her, and our two dogs sat on either side, and cleaned up any mess our nice made.

If you have young children, and you don't want to mop the floor after every meal, you need a dog.

CD
Kids are grownup, yay!

Yeah I was just thinking my plants replace the idea of pets: my plants don't bark, pee or poo on the floor, and they are cheaper to feed.

I really really like your table. I like the whole room but the table is gorgeous. I'd take a pic of mine but my spouse has the table covered in paperwork and I have a bunch of boxes piled in the corner. I can only get rid of as many as I can fit in the bin each week. Other than that it's a nice room. LOL

You may be surprised how many members (mainly US members) don't eat at a table. We had a thread about it somewhere. Well, I was really surprised. I can't think of anything worse than trying to eat on a sofa balancing food on my lap. I've been known in the past to eat at a desk though. Usually only snacks while I'm working.

In my current house the dining room is where I sit most of the day when sitting indoors. In fact, I can't remember the last time I sat on one of the sofas! The table is glass and rather out of date as it 'came with the house'. I quite like it because the glass gives the illusion of making the room look bigger - but I'd much rather have a more contemporary design. The chairs are retro 1940's I think - I got them years ago from a junk shop.

I also like to read if I'm eating lunch alone and this is much easier at a dining table:

When we bought the house, that room was carpeted, which I always hated, so after a couple of years, we decided to put down the laminate floor and turn half of it into a pub of sorts.

Literally the week we finished the bar, MrsTasty was diagnosed with a chronic illness that has severely curtailed her alcohol intake. We had maybe two cocktail hours, and then...pffft!...no more for a couple of years until she got things under control.

The table and hutch are from her parents (I don't know why we didn't get the chairs). My great uncle made those chairs you see there.

Its so you. I like the look of that standard lamp on the left. I note the dried herbs are taking over the bar...

Here a hutch is where you keep bunny rabbits. Do you mean the dresser?
Thank you! I will admit, I envisioned the paint job and the little table and the stuff on the walls all in my head, and I'd excitedly describe it to MrsTasty and she'd kind of roll her eyes and say, "Yeah...um...ok..." :)

Curious...what do you mean by "standard lamp," just that every pub has one like that?

One thing I do have that every pub in the Commonwealth (not sure if that's the geopolitical term) is supposed to have is a picture of the Queen. Ol' Liz is up top the barback, right in the middle, nestled between the steins. 👑

I have enough dried herbs to last me a decade, and that's no exaggeration. The garden out back is still producing, too. 😒

The hutch is the thing nearly out of shot, foreground, left side. My rolling pin is sitting on it, and my fondue pot. More specifically, it's a china hutch.

We also keep rabbits in hutches, outside, and not with the dishes. Also, one of our favorite 1970's detective shows was "Starskey And Hutch," about a hep groovy police detective, partnered with a piece of furniture. When they'd take down the baddies, Starskey would shout, "Get 'em, Hutch!" and a door would fling open, and out the dishes would fly, knocking out the criminals. :laugh:

Note the mistletoe is still up, so I can sneak a snog now and again. 😘

MG, a hutch here is basically a china cabinet, although generally much less formal. Way back when, before kitchens full of built-in cabinets, people used them to store all their plates, cups and dinnerware.

CD

I also like to read if I'm eating lunch alone and this is much easier at a dining table:
I can just make out what you're reading:

"Gwendolyn gasped as Montgomery drew her near him, his arms strong and gentle. She could measure his excitement at seeing her by the feel of his manhood pressing against her thigh. Her body automatically responded."

"'Here,' he whispered seductively, reaching into his pocket, 'Would you like some of my Mars bar? I don't want the whole thing.'"

The hutch is the thing nearly out of shot, foreground, left side.

MG, a hutch here is basically a china cabinet, although generally much less formal. Way back when, before kitchens full of built-in cabinets, people used them to store all their plates, cups and dinnerware.

CD

Yeah that is what we call a dresser - that is, if the top part I can see is part of the bottom part. Its often called a Welsh dresser. Like this:

1594581837465.png

Curious...what do you mean by "standard lamp," just that every pub has one like that?

I meant this which I suppose may not be a standard lamp - I can't see it in full:

A standard lamp is a lamp that stands on the floor - like the one I have in my photo above. I fear we are uncovering yet more language differences!

Back
Top Bottom