Show us your kitchen!

13.jpg
14.jpg

This is our last home, I do miss this house!

View attachment 91806
Pretty basic kitchen, loads of cabinets, and I LOVE the island with a huge work space ... and when we had the new fridge delivered the guys asked me, "could you have ordered a bigger one ya think... GEEZ! This thing weighs a ton!" :happy:
The pantry is to the right there and I made sure to have my desk in the kitchen. This is my favorite kitchen that we've had, so far :okay:

Can you open the fridge door next to the wall? My sister has that same fridge/freezer, and the door near the wall will only open so far, and then hits the wall.

CD

Is it common for US houses to have a desk in the kitchen, and what do you use it for? I've seen it in American home improvement shows and thought it's unusual, I don't think I've ever seen that in other countries.

Is it common for US houses to have a desk in the kitchen, and what do you use it for? I've seen it in American home improvement shows and thought it's unusual, I don't think I've ever seen that in other countries.
It’s not uncommon, I’ll put it that way, but probably more common 30-40 years ago.

The main purpose is home management: it’s where the bills would get paid (back when bills had to get mailed in through the post), grocery lists written out, coupons stored, that sort of thing.

Many times, it wouldn’t be a traditional desk, but just a smallish table. We had one when I was a kid, my in-laws had one, and we probably had one in our first couple of kitchens. They tend to be in that space between kitchen and dining room.

caseydog yup and yup. I sure do wish that builders wouldn't do this!
LissaC and TastyReuben I really like having my small and cute little desk between the kitchen and the dining room. I can easily take care of all necessary business for my command post.
In all three of our homes, we've had what is called an open floor concept. That is to say that the kitchen, living and dining areas are open to each other. It works well for us.

Uhh, some of those are nice!!

I have to admit there's some people there I never heard of, maybe because I don't really watch TV? But I'm guessing some of them never cook anyway.

Also, some of those kitchens feel very similar and a bit cookie-cutter. As some of you may know, I'm not a fan of "modern" kitchens with sleek lines and minimalistic cabinets and that trend of having the countertops match the backsplash is not something I can wrap my head around. I much prefer the "old style" kitchen with shaker style cabinets, colorful tiles, etc.

Something Portugal has and that I really love, is the a tradition with tiles. Beautiful, colorful tiles with intricate patterns. You can see this all over building façades in Lisbon but up until the 80's, Portuguese houses had kitchens and bathrooms that were covered in those kinds of tile. It's also common for houses built in the 50's - 70's to have the hallway halls half covered in tiles. My own house was built in the 70's and has been partially renovated by the previous owner, and what they did in the kitchen was a lazy renovation so I still have the original tiles behind the new kitchen cabinets. They are gorgeous tiles with a flower pattern in orange. I love this kind of tiles, probably not covering the entire kitchen but on a feature wall, for example on the wall behind the stovetop. Lenny Kravitz's kitchen has that kind of tile that I like. My grandma's kitchen had tiles with a very similar pattern, only they were orange and brownish. Below are some examples of the kind of tile I'm talking about.
1667233747997.png

1667233773033.png

1667233911497.png

1667234062782.png

Below, an image of the tiles on a hallway, very typical from houses built in the 50's - 70's.
1667233948324.png

I have to admit there's some people there I never heard of, maybe because I don't really watch TV?
I also haven’t heard off most of these people, probably because I’m over 30. :laugh:

I think the one I like the most is Dakota Johnson’s kitchen. It’s cozy.

Something Portugal has and that I really love, is the a tradition with tiles.
I’m completely smitten with that look!

I didn't like most of those kitchens (although I recognized most of the celebrities). Aaron Paul's kitchen was nice, with the stonework and exposed beams.

CD

I didn't like most of those kitchens (although I recognized most of the celebrities). Aaron Paul's kitchen was nice, with the stonework and exposed beams.

CD
The only other one besides Dakota Johnson’s I thought was nice was John Stamps’ kitchen. It had a nice simplicity to it.

Back
Top Bottom