1/4 white pepper
1/4 tsp sugar
1/8 cup minced green onion/scallion
1/4 cup finely minced water chestnuts
4 slices fairly hearty sandwich bread
Sesame seeds for garnish

1 egg plus 1 Tbsp water for egg wash

Oil for shallow frying

Divide shrimp in half, then take 2 from 1 pile and add to the other. Place the larger pile in a small food processor with the butter and pulse, scraping as needed, until a mousse forms. Scrape into a small bowl and add remaining ingredients up to sesame seeds.

Finely chop remaining shrimp and add to mixture in bowl. Mix well to combine, cover bowl and place in refrigerator for at least an hour.

Start oil heating in a 9-10 inch skillet, about 1/2 inch deep to 330 F.

Cut crusts from bread. Lightly brush with egg white. Spread 1/4 of the shrimp mixture over bread to edges. Lightly brush with egg wash then sprinkle with sesame seeds. Repeat with 3 remaining bread slices.

Gently and carefully place 2 slices of bread in skillet, shrimp mixture side down. Cook until you can see edges starting to brown. Carefully turn over with a spatula and allow other side of bread to brown. Remove from oil and allow to drain. Repeat with remaining 2 pieces.

Slice into triangles and serve immediately.

Last edited:
Excellent! Its an age since I ate sesame prawn toast (as it is known in the UK). I think it used to be sold in Chinese take-aways here but its something of a retro dish now. The sesame seeds are essential.

I'd think Texas Toast would be a good choice for bread here.

All the Chinese restaurants have this on their menu here and they all use sandwich bread thickness toast. I think the emphasis is supposed to be on the shrimp paste mixture and the fried bread just serves as a vehicle to hold it and add some extra crunch.

Back
Top Bottom