Shrove Tuesday

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
7:47 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I'm not religious in the slightest. I was raised a cynic by a Methodist family. One side strict to the point of no alcohol for the oldest of its generations, the other attended church weekly but that was as far as it went. washer we lived with one side, church attendance was mandatory, with the other side (when I lived there alone for 12 months due to family problems) church attendance was optional, left to you to choose. One side was Sunday best for clothes even at the Sunday lunch table, the other was whatever you felt comfortable in. You get the idea...

The result was that I didn't. I stayed away with only the occasional church goings, yet found myself attending a faith school (ironically CoE) and then working in another (again CoE).

One of the few faith traditions I have kept to over the years is Shrove Tuesday. Not for the start of Lent by any means (too much of being expected to give up something by one of my Grandmothers), but more for the pancakes. Straight forward, pancakes. I love them. Such as simple food, only ever served with lemon juice and sugar (Grannie was always white caster sugar only, but now I prefer golden caster sugar or even demerara if I can). These are the UK pancakes, the size of a dinner plate (which just so happens to be the size of my griddle), sprinkled with lemon juice and that caster sugar, rolled and eaten just in time for the next one to be ready to be turned...

Have you even remembered Shrove Tuesday this year with it being so very late in February? Do you like them? How do you like yours? They are great in my mind because it is so easy to make a single egg recipe for 1 person if you live alone or is the day simply an excuse (as it is for me) to have pancakes?

My 'family' recipe... Recipe - Pancakes

Images to follow, on the day but I'll see if I can find some of last year's...

Last edited:
Next Tuesday, 25th February. Bring on the pancakes for Pancake Day!

I didn't know that, my d.i.l will know, she's a Catholic and bought up Catholic, she's really good and fits us all very well, she has our humour as well. Her brothers and sisters (6) also practice their faith although the two youngest boys don't. Her family are boring and I mean boring. My d.i.l mother just walked out of her marriage and left her husband. I always considered her a hypocrite, she's smokes and gambles hard. It's split their family up. I'll ask my d.i.l on Sunday when she is here.
I was raised Methodist and my brothers (2) and I had to go to church every Sunday, until I got to about 12 or 13, I refused to go. My own mother wouldn't go. Sheeesh.

So I won't celebrate but I may do pancakes for dessert, my miss 10 loves pancakes.

Russ

I was raised in a Pentecostal offshoot , so we never did that. We probably considered it pagan. Anything we didn't do, we figured it was probably pagan. :laugh:

Anyhoo, I'm a big ol' atheist, but I don't need any reason to eat pancakes, so if I remember, I'll have pancakes that day, but ever the rebel, they'll be American-style pancakes. Maybe. I've not made up my mind. 🥞 🥞 🥞

I was raised in a Pentecostal offshoot , so we never did that. We probably considered it pagan. Anything we didn't do, we figured it was probably pagan. :laugh:

Anyhoo, I'm a big ol' atheist, but I don't need any reason to eat pancakes, so if I remember, I'll have pancakes that day, but ever the rebel, they'll be American-style pancakes. Maybe. I've not made up my mind. 🥞 🥞 🥞

I had a funny feeling your reply would be that,lmao.

Russ

Do you eat pankakes ON that Tuesday morning? I gotta' have room for Fat Tuesday festivities, and on Ash Wednesday, I'll probably be in bed til afternoon.

My only other lent tradition is Bacon Fridays. That way I'm breaking the rules of pretty much every mono-thiestic religion all in one day. :p:

CD

Do you eat pankakes ON that Tuesday morning? I gotta' have room for Fat Tuesday festivities, and on Ash Wednesday, I'll probably be in bed til afternoon.

I rarely eat mornings. My pancakes will be consumed mid afternoon on Tuesday (after snooker).

My only other lent tradition is Bacon Fridays. That way I'm breaking the rules of pretty much every mono-thiestic religion all in one day. :p:

I have no rules about which days to eat which food. Even if I did, I have trouble remembering what day it is anyway!

Do you eat pankakes ON that Tuesday morning?

Pancakes in the UK are not usually regarded as a breakfast item (although American style pancakes have crept on to some breakfast menus in restaurants). On Pancake Day, they are usually eaten at tea-time or maybe lunch-time. They are thinner than American pancakes - more like crêpes and contain no sugar. Traditionally eaten with a sprinkle of sugar and lemon juice. They are also used in savoury dishes - rolled & stuffed with spinach and cheese, for example.

I was brought up atheist/agnostic, not Christened (unusual for those days) but we always had Pancake Day when I was a kid. To be honest I didn't even associate it with religion and I don't think my family did either. Most people here would call it Pancake Day not Shrove Tuesday and that is certainly what all the food magazines and adverts call it.

Last edited:
Evening meal here when I was a kid. My Grannie always made them. We'd eat 10-12 each as a kid. Now I can't manage 3, but still for the evening meal.

Pikelets are a dessert or more recently since moving to Australia, a breakfast item. They are closer to American pancakes.

Shrove Tuesday is still UK pancakes and just lemon and sugar. I'd try lime if it wasn't for the lemon tree outside. Fresh juicy homegrown lemons and pancakes made with free range (almost totally organic) homegrown eggs are to die for, but only for evening meal. I guess I could try them for lunch... and evening meal. Hubby won't refuse that's for sure.

I am very religious when it comes to Pancake Day. I think I've only missed it when I've been away from a kitchen.

Rather like me being religious about the Italian Christian Eve fish traditions - being neither Italian nor (any longer) Christian.

While pancakes here in the US are considered breakfast by and large, I do have a great savory Indian pancake recipe which could likely be served at any time of the day.

It contains beans, but probably not enough for the current Bean Challenge.

We have savory crepes here a lot. I usually make them filled with ham and cheese and an egg on top, but I've done spinach-cheese-mushroom ones for the wife...really anything you'd stick in an omelette you can stick into a crepe.

Our (used to be) favorite breakfast spot features pancakes, crepes, and waffles, and the wife's favorite there is crepes filled with a boozy cherry compote and whipped cream. I like their Swedish lace pancakes, which are really just giant 14-inch crepes served with lingonberry sauce, though I get butter and maple syrup instead.

Back
Top Bottom