Recipe Sidekick

karadekoolaid

Legendary Member
Local time
7:22 AM
(This is an adaption of a Heston Blumenthal recipe. I've got no idea why it's called Sidekick)
Ingredients:
3 large red peppers
Olive oil
1 small tin anchovies
3-4 sprigs thyme
5 cloves garlic, sliced
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp smoked paprika

Method:
  • Grill the peppers, whole, on high heat until blackened all over. Put the peppers in a bag and close for 15 minutes: this will help remove the skin.
  • Meanwhile, heat the olive oil to medium in a frying pan/skillet. Chop the anchovies and add them to the pan, along with the garlic and thyme. Cook gently for about 5 minutes or so until the anchovies fall apart and the garlic is soft.
  • Skin the peppers, remove the stalk and seeds and cut the flesh into julienne. Place in a large bowl.
  • Add the contents of the pan to the bowl. Season with pepper and paprika. You may need to add a pinch of salt although the anchovies will probably do the trick.
  • Mix together gently and serve with crusty bread, as an antipasto or a a side to chicken or lamb.
Red pepper Sidekick.jpg
Red pepper Sidekick 2.jpg

Looks good, Guru K. 'm thinking of splitting the peppers first for faster charring. Think that would work? (I've not done charred peppers before.)

m thinking of splitting the peppers first for faster charring.
You could give that a go. Why not?
The important thing in this recipe, however, is the smoky flavour. The longer you char the peppers, the smokier they will be.
If I had a gas cooker, I'd just put the whole peppers directly on the gas, but an electric cooker makes that impossible.

An antipasto with a great 'kick' of anchovy! I'd easily eat this as a side with lamb too, as you suggest. Good photos.

But what is the Heston Blumenthal thing? He is a very experimental cook and I couldn't see anything here I'd associate with his style - except maybe for the title.

But what is the Heston Blumenthal thing? He is a very experimental cook and I couldn't see anything here I'd associate with his style - except maybe for the title.
Got the recipe from the Sunday Times, years ago. Also included his Confit Tomatoes, which are absolutely to die for.
Have to admit it surprised me too. Nothing magical or fiendishly scientific!

Never thought of putting a bit of saffron with it. Great idea!
mix this ingredient with saffron and red peeper is very delicious

A really good idea to use saffron. But maybe not with anchovies too? I think perhaps their saltiness would conflict with and mask the delicate taste of saffron.

You can always balance it yourself, add some anchovis if it not enough or leave it if you think it's okay

The original recipe calls for anchovies in vinegar. Over here they're called "boquerones".
Perhaps saffron would work better because the boquerones are slightly less potent flavour wise.

Back
Top Bottom