Recipe Simple saffron risotto (risotto allo zafferano)

Elawin

Guru
Local time
9:32 PM
Simple saffron risotto (risotto allo zafferano)

Risotto, Savoy cabbage, roast tomatoes3.jpg

Serves: 4

Ingredients:

½ tsp saffron strands
1.3 litres hot vegetable stock, made with stock cubes
1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
6 tbsp olive oil
400 g Arborio or Carnaroli rice
150 ml white wine
100 g salted butter
80 g Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
Salt and white pepper to taste

Method:
  1. Mix the saffron with 4 tablespoons of hot stock in a small bowl and set aside.
  2. In a large, heavy based saucepan, fry the onion in the oil for 3 minutes until soft but not browned, stirring. Add in the rice and fry for 3 minutes on a medium heat, allowing the rice to toast into the hot oil. Stir continuously with a wooden spoon. Pour the wine over the rice and continue to cook for a further minute to allow the alcohol to evaporate.
  3. Stir in the saffron mixture then add a couple of ladles of stock and bring to a simmer. Continue to cook and stir until all the stock is absorbed. At this point please stay with the saucepan because you need to keep stirring with a wooden spoon. Pour in the rest of the stock, a little at a time, cooking until each addition is absorbed. It is ready when all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is cooked but still has a little bite. This will take 15-17 minutes; you may not need all the stock.
  4. Once the rice is cooked, take the pan off the heat and add in the butter with the Parmesan. At this point stir everything together for 30 seconds to allow the risotto to become creamy. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
[From: Gino’s Italian Escape: A Taste of the Sun]

Simple saffron risotto (risotto allo zafferano)

View attachment 34921

Serves: 4

Ingredients:

½ tsp saffron strands
1.3 litres hot vegetable stock, made with stock cubes
1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
6 tbsp olive oil
400 g Arborio or Carnaroli rice
150 ml white wine
100 g salted butter
80 g Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
Salt and white pepper to taste

Method:
  1. Mix the saffron with 4 tablespoons of hot stock in a small bowl and set aside.
  2. In a large, heavy based saucepan, fry the onion in the oil for 3 minutes until soft but not browned, stirring. Add in the rice and fry for 3 minutes on a medium heat, allowing the rice to toast into the hot oil. Stir continuously with a wooden spoon. Pour the wine over the rice and continue to cook for a further minute to allow the alcohol to evaporate.
  3. Stir in the saffron mixture then add a couple of ladles of stock and bring to a simmer. Continue to cook and stir until all the stock is absorbed. At this point please stay with the saucepan because you need to keep stirring with a wooden spoon. Pour in the rest of the stock, a little at a time, cooking until each addition is absorbed. It is ready when all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is cooked but still has a little bite. This will take 15-17 minutes; you may not need all the stock.
  4. Once the rice is cooked, take the pan off the heat and add in the butter with the Parmesan. At this point stir everything together for 30 seconds to allow the risotto to become creamy. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
[From: Gino’s Italian Escape: A Taste of the Sun]

Good recipe! Apart from the use of salted butter at the end, I like the use of Evoo to brown the onion, I use it sometimes as well - for example in Tomato Risotto.

Good recipe! Apart from the use of salted butter at the end, I like the use of Evoo to brown the onion, I use it sometimes as well - for example in Tomato Risotto.
Actually I didn't use salted butter either, but then I never do. The only salt I used was that in the stock - I never added any more, but then I'm not a lover of salt in or on anything except pretzels and chips :giggle: I just copied out the recipe as in the cookbook.

Back
Top Bottom