400g of strong white bread flour
1 level teaspoon of salt
¾ teaspoon of dried thyme
5g of dried active yeast
¾ teaspoon of sugar
½ tablespoonful of olive oil
warm water

Method:

Put the flour, salt, thyme, sugar and dried active yeast into a large mixing bowl.

Add the olive oil and as much warm water as is necessary to make a malleable dough. Knead and stretch the dough for 10 minutes. Cover and put on one side somewhere warm for 2 hours (it should double, if not triple, in size).

If you want a round bread then a 30cm circular baking tray will be OK. My preference is to make a slightly thinner and oval bread so I use a rectangular baking tray that is 38cm x 30cm.

Knock the dough down, place it on a baking tray and shape it. Cover and leave it for another hour.

Pre-heat the oven to 210C

Cook the bread for 18 minutes at 210C, then reduce the oven temperature to 200C for a further 4 minutes

Take out of the oven and let it cool on a wire rack

This bread cries out for olive oil – drizzle a good quality olive oil (EVOO) over it and you won’t regret it. It goes well with most cheese, cold meats (if you must), hummus and other purées too. I’ve found it also works as a good accompaniment to a vegetable soup, particularly in wintertime.

My neighbour assures me that it’s fine for breakfast, spread with an orange marmalade (she finds the thyme & orange combination appealing).

Thyme bread pre-cook.JPG
Thyme bread baked cropped.jpg

Thyme bread inner.JPG

It looks good. Its surprising that 3/4 tsp of thyme can flavour a whole loaf. But I can see that if you use too much the result would be overpowering. I like the idea of marmalade with it. Incidentally, I keep meaning to ask why you add sugar to your bread? If you use dried instant yeast that goes straight into the flour then it doesn't need it. The sort I use l lately which is dried yeast that you need to 'froth' beforehand, does need the sugar, to activate it.

Its surprising that 3/4 tsp of thyme can flavour a whole loaf.

It's just a subtle flavour of thyme in the bread. I found that's what my neighbours prefer - rather than an overpowering taste, and I'm cool with that.

I keep meaning to ask why you add sugar to your bread?

I like sweet bread ….there are so many different types of dried yeast here & in the UK: some seem to need sugar, others don't. I guess I've just got into the routine of adding a bit of sugar to give the yeast a lift - perhaps, as you say, it's not strictly necessary. If you were a calorie-counter you'd probably be better off avoiding it - but that's hardly any sugar at all. The loaf I made today has gone in all directions (I did manage to keep a bit for myself) - as far as I can see it's feeding 9 people this evening. 9 people sharing 3/4 of a teaspoon of sugar means each person gets 1/12 teaspoon of sugar. Probably.

I like the idea of marmalade with it.

I've only tried it once and quite liked it. A matter of individual taste, I suppose. I make other breads that I prefer to eat at breakfast, rather than this one.

What exactly is "strong white bread flour"? Is it the same as regular white flour?

No, it's not the same as plain flour. If I have time this evening, I'll research it for you and see if I can come up with a meaningful US term.

What does that mean?

Knocking the dough down ….at the end of the first proving you literally punch all the air out of the dough.

Back
Top Bottom