Single Malt Whisky

karadekoolaid

Legendary Member
Local time
11:06 AM
I´ve noticed quite a lot of comments on single malt scotch - but I can´t find a post specifically dedicated to the subject.
So here´s my take on the subject:
Highland, Lowland, Speyside, or Islay
My favourites are from Islay, redolent of peat and smoke. I actually visited Islay in 2001. I´m the proud owner of 1 sq.ft. of land in Islay (and have got a certificate to prove it) on Laphroaig territory. I just love Laphroaig; peaty, smoky, medicinal, spicy. However, I´ve also tried Ardbeg, Lagavullin (an essential part of Johnny Walker Black, by the way), Bowmore, Talisker (an island further north) and a whole load of others - including a 25 yr old McCallan.
What´s your favourite?

Laphroaig is also my favorite. I began with beginner-level McCallan and Balvenies, but by now I've tried so many I hardly remember which is which. At this point when I'm due for scotch I just pick whatever bottle looks the most interesting and is within my price range.

Of the malts that I have tasted, Laphroaig is my preferred (albeit I'm not a whisky drinker, per se).

Im still relatively new to Single Malt Whiskey but I think I know what I like/dislike. I am not a big fan of smoke, so my choices below will probably support that sentiment...

From the Highlands: Glenmorangie, Aberfeldy, and I would like to get to know Oban's offerings a bit better.

From Speyside: Glenlivet and Balvenie come to mind.

From Islay: I have enjoyed Bruichladdich and Bunnahabhain as both have some bottlings that are light on peat.

If that paints a clear picture of my palate, I am open to suggestions you think I might enjoy.

Im still relatively new to Single Malt Whiskey but I think I know what I like/dislike. I am not a big fan of smoke, so my choices below will probably support that sentiment...

From the Highlands: Glenmorangie, Aberfeldy, and I would like to get to know Oban's offerings a bit better.

From Speyside: Glenlivet and Balvenie come to mind.

From Islay: I have enjoyed Bruichladdich and Bunnahabhain as both have some bottlings that are light on peat.

If that paints a clear picture of my palate, I am open to suggestions you think I might enjoy.
Of the Highland scotches, see if you can get hold of Dalwhinnie or Glengoyne. I thought they were good. The others I´ve also enjoyed are Balblair (I had 69 proof cask strength) ans Old Poulteney.
Speyside: I tend to stay away from Glenfiddich; I just think it´s become too commercial. If you can find a bottle of Cardhu, you´ll love it.
As for the Islay scotches, you might find Isle of Jura to your liking.

Over the last two weeks I've killed a few bottles. This

is all that I have left in my stock.

I'm a rum/gin drinker. However my wife prefers whisky Johnny Walker to be precise. Blue black labels. However she has others.
I stopped drinking whisky when in my early 20s. I always wanted to fight. Not good.

Russ

Tried the Weller bourbon last weekend - excellent!
No single malt here for the moment. Ohio is bourbon country, and my son prefers rum.
HOWEVER.... I´ll be in the UK next week , where supplies are plentiful!!

Back
Top Bottom