Slow Cooker Apple Cider

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
9:51 PM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
I made this over Thanksgiving, but I do think it's nice for any winter celebration - it'd be perfect for Christmas!

Slow Cooker Apple Cider

Ingredients:
  • 9 medium apples, assorted types (I used a mixture of red, yellow and green apples)
  • 1 orange
  • 3 cinnamon sticks
  • 1 whole nutmeg
  • 2 teaspoons whole cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon whole allspice (optional)
  • 12-16 cups water
  • 1/3 - 2/3 cup brown sugar (to taste)
Directions:
Wash apples and the orange, and then roughly cut into quarters. (Don't worry about removing peels, seeds, or stems.) Place in the bowl of your slow cooker. Add cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, cloves and allspice. Cover with water, filling the slow cooker until it is nearly full. (I left about 1/2 inch of space at the top of my pot.) Cook on high heat for 3-4 hours, or on low heat for 6-8 hours.

About an hour before the cider is done cooking, use a potato masher (or tongs or the side of a spoon) to mash the apple and orange slices once they are soft. Finish cooking for one more hour.

Strain out the apple cider juice into a clean pitcher or pot. To get the maximum juice out of the apples, you can press them through a fine-mesh strainer or strain through a cheese cloth. Stir in your desired amount of sweetener until it is dissolved.

Serve hot.

I made this over Thanksgiving, but I do think it's nice for any winter celebration - it'd be perfect for Christmas!

Slow Cooker Apple Cider

Ingredients:
  • 9 medium apples, assorted types (I used a mixture of red, yellow and green apples)
  • 1 orange
  • 3 cinnamon sticks
  • 1 whole nutmeg
  • 12-16 cups water
Directions:
Wash apples and the orange, and then roughly cut into quarters. (Don't worry about removing peels, seeds, or stems.) Place in the bowl of your slow cooker. Add cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, cloves and allspice. Cover with water, filling the slow cooker until it is nearly full. (I left about 1/2 inch of space at the top of my pot.) Cook on high heat for 3-4 hours, or on low heat for 6-8 hours.

About an hour before the cider is done cooking, use a potato masher (or tongs or the side of a spoon) to mash the apple and orange slices once they are soft. Finish cooking for one more hour.

Strain out the apple cider juice into a clean pitcher or pot. To get the maximum juice out of the apples, you can press them through a fine-mesh strainer or strain through a cheese cloth. Stir in your desired amount of sweetener until it is dissolved.

Serve hot.

You could have entered this for the new Cookingbites Recipe Challenge!

Slow Cooker Apple Cider

Ingredients:
  • 1 orange
  • 3 cinnamon sticks
  • 1 whole nutmeg
  • 12-16 cups water
Directions:

Serve hot.

I'm presuming that this is not strictly speaking 'Cider' as it non-alcoholic - or is it?

Yes, this looks essentially like a mulled cider recipie. It does look good. I loved a good mulled spiced cider or wine. Maybe it will be cool enough for New Years to make something like that...a bit on the warm side here to be making hot dishes...a bit I do love a good cider and certainly would enjoy this recipe when it was cool enough. Christmas is going to be about 75F soo, it is not really great for cold weather foods.

Yes, this looks essentially like a mulled cider recipie. It does look good. I loved a good mulled spiced cider or wine. Maybe it will be cool enough for New Years to make something like that...a bit on the warm side here to be making hot dishes...a bit I do love a good cider and certainly would enjoy this recipe when it was cool enough. Christmas is going to be about 75F soo, it is not really great for cold weather foods.
Where are you that it is so warm? :sun:Jealous! If you add your location beneath your cute doggy picture, I wouldn't need to ask where you are!:D Its a little bugbear of mine. People post interesting comments like, 'here we have green tangerines' and we have no idea where they are! See, how to add your location here: How to add your location to below your avatar. Its easy-peasy!

I am in Virginia. The whole East Coast of the US has been having a huge heat wave. Our weather usually blows across the Atlantic to you so just wait, you will get your chance!! Today on Christmas day it is 72 degrees F. It should normally be maybe 45 to 50. in this part of the US..so it is quite a departure. The warm weather makes it feel very unseasonable. I think it will be closer to normal by New Years though.

Morning Glory if you want sunshine you need to come to Barbados. Much to our surprise it rained yesterday and the day before. The sun was back out in it's glory this morning until now where it's starting to look like rain again. This would be one of the few Xmas weeks we've had rain. It's mostly brilliant sunshine. About the recipe, it would be interesting to make if I can find me my slow cooker which I have not seen/used in forever.

I am in Virginia. The whole East Coast of the US has been having a huge heat wave. Our weather usually blows across the Atlantic to you so just wait, you will get your chance!! Today on Christmas day it is 72 degrees F. It should normally be maybe 45 to 50. in this part of the US..so it is quite a departure. The warm weather makes it feel very unseasonable. I think it will be closer to normal by New Years though.
Here on the east coast of Canada it has been unseasonably warm. Today was beautiful. Nothing like the typical Christmas day that we would normallay have. It's a pleasant change.

I almost tried a recipe similar to this. The ingredients are a bit familiar too bad I did not find cloves at that time but I was itching to try a similar recipe. I think I might put some sugar cane slices to make it more Mexican

Back
Top Bottom