Slow posting and replies???

Just to let you know that I am aware, and am looking in to it, but I also find the timing very suspicious both with northern hemisphere school holidays (the net in general always slows down in late July & August) but also with the fact that the virtual server renewal is due in 3 weeks time.
Yeah but this has never happened to me in previous years during school holidays. My Internet is functioning fine otherwise, it's just this site that's giving me issues. Our school let out in early June in the US and kids go back next week in my area. Hopefully It gets resolved soon.

Hope you are doing well meanwhile.

Yeah but this has never happened to me in previous years during school holidays. My Internet is functioning fine otherwise, it's just this site that's giving me issues. Our school let out in early June in the US and kids go back next week in my area. Hopefully It gets resolved soon.

Hope you are doing well meanwhile.
I'm guessing that you have just never seen it.

Anyone working in IT outside of the Americas is used to it and knows all too well that if they want to do a large download from say Technet (a MS site), they are best doing it very first thing in the am in the UK so that it will actually complete before midday to 2pm. After that, it will just error or timeout and you have to start again the following morning.

1691557914723.png

I do see a timelag in my own connection to CB each and every single holiday period. I see it more than anyone else because of my satellite BB connection. My ping rate is usually in 4 figures, but that is part of satellite BB. The signal really is going to (inner) space and back... Also every evening without fail, we go from being able to watch streaming media (we've no TV signal where we are) and being able to watch 5-6 hours without any pauses to pausing every 5 minutes or so. That kicks in really badly around 7-9pm AEST. Thats about 7-9am for New York. It will start to have issues from 6pm onwards. Again, I see it because of the time delay (ping response) in my signal, despite the 25Mbps connection speed.

Anyhow, I have the server support team looking into the config of the server and they have made a few changes and we believe that we may have identified a few services that can be disabled to free up RAM in the server to help access speeds.

I am leaving it in their hands for the moment. It is all I can do, having identified that it is not the platform we run on that is causing the problems. We are on a fully managed Linux server for a reason. We pay for the managed service because I do not know Linux or cPanel very well at all. It is one of the reasons I was reluctant to take CB on originally. I didn't even know XenForo (XF) at the time and have had to learn that from scratch.

Also, if you look that the homepage, you will see the number of members and guests online at any one time. A lot of those guests are bots indexing the site and this causes a lot of traffic. It is one of those bots that has been hogging server RAM and a few other resources. I asked for it to be disabled/blocked. We don't use that bot for advertising the site, so I am happy to lose it.

I will also have to see how each and every change goes overnight, because i always get a time delay and sometimes timeout before I get a page, so I can't easily tell if the site still has an issue or not. That was a decision I had to make when we bought the virtual server we run on - where to locate it. I prioritised USA to Europe for speed. Anyone on this side of the Pacific has to learn to accept the longer response rates because it is not possible to distribute a single virtual server globally.

I'm guessing that you have just never seen it.

Anyone working in IT outside of the Americas is used to it and knows all too well that if they want to do a large download from say Technet (a MS site), they are best doing it very first thing in the am in the UK so that it will actually complete before midday to 2pm. After that, it will just error or timeout and you have to start again the following morning.

View attachment 103333

I do see a timelag in my own connection to CB each and every single holiday period. I see it more than anyone else because of my satellite BB connection. My ping rate is usually in 4 figures, but that is part of satellite BB. The signal really is going to (inner) space and back... Also every evening without fail, we go from being able to watch streaming media (we've no TV signal where we are) and being able to watch 5-6 hours without any pauses to pausing every 5 minutes or so. That kicks in really badly around 7-9pm AEST. Thats about 7-9am for New York. It will start to have issues from 6pm onwards. Again, I see it because of the time delay (ping response) in my signal, despite the 25Mbps connection speed.

Anyhow, I have the server support team looking into the config of the server and they have made a few changes and we believe that we may have identified a few services that can be disabled to free up RAM in the server to help access speeds.

I am leaving it in their hands for the moment. It is all I can do, having identified that it is not the platform we run on that is causing the problems. We are on a fully managed Linux server for a reason. We pay for the managed service because I do not know Linux or cPanel very well at all. It is one of the reasons I was reluctant to take CB on originally. I didn't even know XenForo (XF) at the time and have had to learn that from scratch.

Also, if you look that the homepage, you will see the number of members and guests online at any one time. A lot of those guests are bots indexing the site and this causes a lot of traffic. It is one of those bots that has been hogging server RAM and a few other resources. I asked for it to be disabled/blocked. We don't use that bot for advertising the site, so I am happy to lose it.

I will also have to see how each and every change goes overnight, because i always get a time delay and sometimes timeout before I get a page, so I can't easily tell if the site still has an issue or not. That was a decision I had to make when we bought the virtual server we run on - where to locate it. I prioritised USA to Europe for speed. Anyone on this side of the Pacific has to learn to accept the longer response rates because it is not possible to distribute a single virtual server globally.
It's working just fine for me now, no delays at all.

I know you've had a lot going on lately and I really appreciate you taking the time. Hope all is well with you. Thanks again 😊

It's working just fine for me now, no delays at all.
handy to know. It will take a few days to establish if the changes have a lasting impact. My overnight is that main time that the site see the issues. 🤞 for tomorrow morning.
I know you've had a lot going on lately and I really appreciate you taking the time. Hope all is well with you. Thanks again 😊
yeah, as I always said to my (UK) respiratory consultant, breathing is a very overrated skill!
It's also not one my lungs are particularly good at, at the moment... Back on ABs yet again, all the puffers and nebulising as well. :( and I love aubergines! :cry:

handy to know. It will take a few days to establish if the changes have a lasting impact. My overnight is that main time that the site see the issues. 🤞 for tomorrow morning.

yeah, as I always said to my (UK) respiratory consultant, breathing is a very overrated skill!
It's also not one my lungs are particularly good at, at the moment... Back on ABs yet again, all the puffers and nebulising as well. :( and I love aubergines! :cry:
Well hopefully you'll be back on track before the challenge is over, I knew it must have been a doozy of something to keep you away. And I'm sure karadekoolaid would accommodate you by extending the deadline.

Get well :hug:

Back
Top Bottom