Small kitchens

I have a small 'galley style' kitchen and I hate it. I had all the units etc. replaced a few years ago and managed to increase the counter top space by quite a lot (and improve how it looks!). The microwave is now 'built in' under a wall unit. The way I cope with limited space is to keep everything, except absolutely essential items off of the counter. So, for instance, a kettle and a toaster might be considered essential for every day. In fact, I don't have a toaster but a table-top grill which is brilliant for toast and grilling most other things. But, if pushed, I could manage without and use the grill in the oven. Large items I store under the stairs and in cupboards or anywhere else I can fit them! For me, having a clear counter is the most important thing.

There was an interesting and quirky TV series in the uk starring Rachel Koo who had the smallest kitchen I've ever seen (in a tiny Paris apartment) but managed to host a popular restaurant from it! Only two people could book to eat at a time, in her dining/living/sleeping room (I think the bed folded up into the wall!). She cooks everything in a space I simply couldn't cope with. Smaller than the kitchen link in @MrsDangermouse 's post!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/programmes/b01dy7yt

The picture here shows all the space she has. Note how much stuff has been elevated!

120311_1122_rachelkhoor31.jpg

Last edited:
When I lived in Edinburgh, I had one of those flats where the kitchen is an extension of the living room (kitchenette, I suppose). That made for very limited space, so even the rather small kitchen that I have now seems big by comparison. The trade-off for this is that the living room is large.

Rachel Koo is really impressive for being able to do that. I'm lucky to have a lot of space so I have a big kitchen with all the works but what I'm really proud of is my classic outdoor grill. I don't have a picture now but I'll post it soon. I watched Tiny House and yeah, you can live with a small kitchen and be able to drag it all over the world too! I mean, food trucks can do it so why not you? I think for small kitchens elevated shelves, clean water and all-purpose kitchenware is necessary.

Back
Top Bottom