Smoked Cod Ideas

lizzief79

Veteran
Local time
9:28 PM
I have bought a large piece of smoked cod to make a meal with. I don't often cook fish other than salmon or tuna steaks. Has anyone got some simple ideas of the best way to cook this or a simple recipe for smoked cod that will appeal to my children?

Well @Berties may be right with the fish cakes idea where kids are concerned! It depends whether your kids are used to eating fish as a whole piece of fish, otherwise. Smoked fish is full of flavour so you don't really need to do much to it other than poach it gently or bake it in foil. In my opinion its very good served on or with spinach with a few butter new potatoes. Sometimes, simple is best! Another idea might be to make a gratin. Kids usually like that. Here's a recipe for smoked haddock gratin which saves me typing one out! Almost any recipe containing smoked haddock will work with smoked cod.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2155651/smoked-haddock-gratin-

I did not know they had smoked cod. I have only heard of smoked salmon. Well you learn something new every day. I suppose a lot of types of fish can be smoked. Here in the states...smoked salmon is sold many places...as for the others...not sure where you would buy it.

I did not know they had smoked cod. I have only heard of smoked salmon. Well you learn something new every day. I suppose a lot of types of fish can be smoked. Here in the states...smoked salmon is sold many places...as for the others...not sure where you would buy it.
Smoked salmon is different from smoked haddock or cod in that its eaten in its 'cured' (smoked) state usually cold and cut thinly. Smoked cod and haddock are smoked but then require cooking in just the same way as you would cook unsmoked cod.

Back
Top Bottom