Smoked Fish

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:03 PM
I love smoked fish - in particular smoked haddock, smoked salmon and kippers. Oh - and Arbroath Smokies (which are a type of smoked haddock). Do you eat smoked fish and if so what kind? Is it particularly a UK thing? What types of smoked fish are available where you are?

Arbroath Smokies:

slideshow-02.jpg

Last edited:
We eat kippers often for a weekend breakfast or weekday lunch. Usually with mushrooms and tomatoes. Always try to get Manx kippers but Scottish if not.

I add smoked haddock to fish pie or potato to make fishcakes, poached with a poached egg on top, or made into 'green veg and haddock'. The green veg dish I made up and is stock with whatever green veg is around and the fish popped on top to steam/poach. Sometimes add mushrooms too.

Smoked mackerel is lovely grilled with a salad and chutney or made into a pilaf. Or made into a pate.

Smoked salmon in sandwiches or with poached egg for breakfast. Loads of starters too.

Hot smoked salmon for salads.

Love smoked fish (as you have probably gathered)

Yes, I am British.

Husband likes smoked oysters. I like the flavour but not so much the texture.

I love smoked fish - in particular smoked haddock, smoked salmon and kippers. Oh - and Arbroath Smokies (which are a type of smoked haddock). Do you eat smoked fish and if so what kind? Is it particularly a UK thing? What types of smoked fish are available where you are?

Arbroath Smokies:

View attachment 22519

I stopped at Arbroath about 15 years ago and bought 2, recomend by Billy's Connolly, they were very nice.
I like smoked eel my friend does as well.

Russ

There are local places that smoke fish, black mullet is very popular in the Tampa/ St. Pete area. I have some smoked king fish in the freezer that a friend's dad made. Salmon is also very popular. Spreads/dips are common and probably the most readily available smoked fish dish you can find.

growing up we had a fresh water lake off the front yard and a bay off the back yard. Grew up on my dad's home smoked fish... great times! Cat fish, trout, salmon... great tasting! Still luv it!

Love hot or cold smoked salmon & trout.

Smoked cod is commonly poached in milk here & served with poached eggs & toast.

I use it in chowder too.

Once caught a grey mullet with an absolutely huge roe inside it.

I've got a hot smoker so decided to smoke the roe and make my own taramasalata.

'll try and find the finished roe but not sure where it is, pic is of the roes after smoking.

taramasalata.JPG

We eat a lot of smoked fish. Smoked mackerel or kippers for breakfast at least once a week, smoked haddock in fish pie and Cullen Skink, and I cold smoke salmon so always have a ready supply in the freezer to make sandwiches or have on top of scrambled eggs.

Growing up, often on a Saturday or Sunday morning, we had Nova Scotia lox from the deli, bagels, cream cheese, red onion, sliced tomatoes on a platter, & jelly donuts from the bakery. Sometimes it was white fish. Loved the fish. Hated the bones. Sometimes chopped liver was on the plate as well. We spread the Sunday New York Times out on the floor, and nibbled till noon. My aunt and I looked through the Fashion section, and attempted the big Sunday crossword puzzle. I like a smoked salmon everything bagel pizza. Posted a link here somewhere.

Last edited:
I don't eat fish but my brother in law has a smoker and smokes mullet and other fish. I know the smell of smoke mullet since he lives next door.

Sometimes chopped liver was on the plate as well. We spread the Sunday New York Times out on the floor, and nibbled till noon. My aunt and I looked through the Fashion section, and attempted the big Sunday crossword puzzle. I like a smoked salmon everything bagel pizza.

This paints a delightful picture! :)

Back
Top Bottom