Smoked Turkey parts.

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
7:26 AM
Has anyone else ever used these to help season a pot of greens or beans? They are the healthy version of smoked pork ham hocks or salt pork. I use them whenever I want to season the two dishes mentioned above or something else.

They give a very distinctive smokey flavor to foods without most of the animal fats & they're very tasty!!:wink:

Last edited:
Has anyone else ever used these to help season a pot of greens or beans? They are the healthy version of smoked pork ham hocks or salt pork. I use them whenever I want to season the two dishes or something else.

They give a very distinctive smokey flavor to foods without most of the animal fats & they're very tasty!!:wink:

We kiwis aren't big on turkey like you guys. We only have it at Xmas. I use chicken stock a lot.

Russ

Has anyone else ever used these to help season a pot of greens or beans? They are the healthy version of smoked pork ham hocks or salt pork. I use them whenever I want to season the two dishes or something else.

I have used smoked turkey legs in the Southern collard green dish. They do work well. However, since I've been buying my pork as locally sourced, healthier, and lean pastured meat, I've reverted back to smoked ham hocks. Can't find the same with turkey yet.

Even in the US, turkey consumption is probably limited to:

1. Thanksgiving
2. Smoked legs at the Ren Faire
3. Lunch meat

:)

About right, although I skip the lunch meat part. I'm not fond of the breast meat which is all it seems the deli lunch meats are made from.

Maybe once or twice a year, I'll snap up a sale turkey thigh deal at the supermarket.

Even in the US, turkey consumption is probably limited to:

1. Thanksgiving
2. Smoked legs at the Ren Faire
3. Lunch meat

:)

You'd probably be quite surprised at how often people in America eat turkey in most forms. It's a healthier form of meat, suchy as beef & pork. Some even eat turkey burgers instead of beef burgers! :wink:

I don't eat much turkey myself, but my dog does, about a pound a week, in deli meat form, to supplement her regular food.

I've since gone down a tur...er, rabbit hole, looking up turkey stuff. I've found that in the US:

1. Turkey is the fourth most popular meat, behind beef, pork, and chicken (no surprise).

2. Turkey consumption is headed for a second consecutive yearly decline, while beef, pork, and (especially) chicken have increased.

3. We export nearly as much as we consume yearly (700M pounds versus 760M pounds).

These came from the internet, so consider that. :)

I'll have turkey at Thanksgiving because it's expected. I'll also have it in a club sandwich, but that's about it. Wait...I do like a good turkey pot pie.

I've tried multiple times to sub it for ground beef with absolutely disastrous results, to the point that I've given up.

I don't like turkey bacon. I've had turkey sausage though. It's ok. Turkey bacon does not have the texture or taste as pork bacon does!! :stop::headshake:

I haven't tried either, but I know they are available.

I used ground turkey in something once and Craig didn't realize that's what it was until I told him. Just depends on how you treat it.

At my home we only have it once a year and then use up the leftovers.

I have used smoked turkey parts once, because there were no ham hocks available.

My wife buys the turkey roast, stuffed with cranberry stuffing. It's only breast meat, my fave, I don't like the brown meat. Only bought for Xmas day. It's done in a roll, so just cook and carve.
Turkey is served Xmas day along with a leg of lamb and a roll of pickled pork. We LOVE Xmas.

Russ

I used ground turkey in something once and Craig didn't realize that's what it was until I told him. Just depends on how you treat it.

It doesn't taste right as a burger, but can be disguised in sauces. But at this point I won't buy ground turkey meat.

How many turkeys are ground up per one package? (I'm also selective about the ground beef I buy - if there's going to be more meat than from a handful of "donors" - I'm not buying that, either.) So, no, I never purchase ground turkey and haven't for over a decade or so.

Turkey bacon? Doesn't taste right, so I don't bother with that, either. I just try to limit my bacon-eating due to the preservatives and salt and such.

Back
Top Bottom