Smoothies that don't taste like fruit?

sase3119

Veteran
Local time
3:33 PM
I really want to get into smoothies etc because I don't get through enough in the way of vegetables and nutrients in the course of my day. Problem is I can't stand fruity tasting drinks, and vegetable smoothie recipes are all about "It just tastes like strawberries/oranges!". Anyone have tricks for smoothies that taste like vanilla or lemonade or homemade cookies or something?

You can put lemon juice in your smoothies for a lemony flavor, but it won't taste like lemonade. Bananas are a good sweetener as is apple juice. That's one reason most smoothies taste light fruit, because there really aren't that many vegetables that have much sugar. I suppose you could try sweetening with butternut squash, it's about the sweetest vegetable I can think of.

I just find fruity tastes really overpowering, the squash could be interesting though. The examples were just the first things that came to mind, butt seems like there should be a "Cookies and Cream Vegetable Smoothie" or "Green Smoothie with Hokey Pokey Flavour" out there but it just doesn't seem to be the way :( I guess I'll have to get creative

I used to make an smoothie that was only flavoured by fruit because I put blackberries or summer fruits in it.
The recipe was as follows (no wheat).

Small pot of yoghurt (can be dairy free)
ground oats (does not need many)
ground nuts or seeds of your choice
honey/sweetener/dates as required
fruit to taste as wanted
water/milk to thin as needed.

Blend everything in blender & serve.

So I am thinking that if you were to use either a vanilla yoghurt that you like, or add real vanilla essence, you will have something that tastes of vanilla. The ground oats will meet your wheat free issues though I admit it does not give you any of your 1 a day, but it was prescribed to me by my nutritionalist when I was having major issues with rapid weight loss and unable to keep most food down. It met a lot of the nutritional requirements including fibre, but obviously excluding things like 1 of your 5 a day.
If you were to sweeten it with something like 5 or 7 dates, you would get a good dose of fibre, 1 of your 5 a day (or whatever number NZ states you should consume) loads of vits and minerals and it tastes great.

That recipe looks awesome! I feel like you and I are ending up in all the same threads lately haha. I'd never thought of using nuts and oats in a smoothie, so I'm definitely going to give that a try!

My husband isn't much of a fruity smoothie guy, but he likes a smoothie that he makes with milk, frozen banana, peanut butter and a drop or two of vanilla. You can't really taste the banana in there but it works to thicken it and it's more like a "healthy thick shake" as my husband refers to it as!

My husband isn't much of a fruity smoothie guy, but he likes a smoothie that he makes with milk, frozen banana, peanut butter and a drop or two of vanilla. You can't really taste the banana in there but it works to thicken it and it's more like a "healthy thick shake" as my husband refers to it as!
That sounds really good! Do you need to do anything with the peanut butter first? I feel like it would just kind of clump together instead of mixing properly

That sounds really good! Do you need to do anything with the peanut butter first? I feel like it would just kind of clump together instead of mixing properly

Once it's all in the blender you just whizz it all up and the blender takes care of it! We have never had a problem with lumps or chunks of PB before so that's a good sign!

Once it's all in the blender you just whizz it all up and the blender takes care of it! We have never had a problem with lumps or chunks of PB before so that's a good sign!
Awesome :) I'll give it a try over the weekend and report back

If you like lemon flavour, there are great lemon flavoured yogurts. I would use that as your base of the smoothie and then add 1/2 a banana, use half a lemon peeled, 1 pear, and some agave nectar to sweeten and a few ice cubes. It should be more lemon flavoured than anything else. Pear and banana don't have too strong a fruit flavour like strawberries so the lemon should stand out. You could also try honeydew melon or canteloupe with the lemon.
Here is a website with some other lemon smoothie recipes. http://www.incrediblesmoothies.com/recipes/lemon-smoothie-recipes-and-nutrition/

The smoothie with peanut butter is interesting! I am already making a smoothie of banana and milk but this time I will try adding peanut butter and I will surely try this one for a change. Thanks @cupcakechef for sharing your recipe for this smoothie :)

I also make my smoothies with yogurt but I do like fruit in my smoothies. The green smoothie with a pear should also be a good choice as the pear taste is not very strong but the smoothie would not be bitter either.

Back
Top Bottom