Snacks in the Midlands

Lullabelle

Midlands, England
Local time
7:00 PM
I am born and bred a Midlands lass and this is a common snack usually consumed in the evening with a pint of beer.

What is your local/choice of savoury snack.

P_20160702_200335.jpg

Fine if they taste ok - just another flavour/type of the old fashioned crisps I suppose and 'scampi' wasn't something you heard of back when I were a yoof. I still remember pork scratchings and the old cockle and winkle man coming around the pubs in the north [maybe everywhere else too but I only lived oop norf back then] selling small bags of - yep cockles and winkles and cold fried fish [?!?!]

I don't think we have a local snack as such, but lots of pubs in our area sell a lot of pork scratchings:

Mr_Porky_Pork_Scratchings[1].jpg

It's basically small chunks of roasted port rind that are hard and very crunchy.

One of the guys who used to work here bought in a bag of buttery popcorn, in the microwave for a short while to heat up and melt the butter, he tucked in but I could not face the popcorn swimming in butter :yuck:

Well that has just dated me completely. Growing up and microwaves were not mutually inclusive events until I was in my teens!
Worry ye not. I was in my twenties when they were introduced in 1974. And I did acquire one in the latter 70's at great expense (they have tumbled in price since). I used it for many things, including heating up babies bottles.

I am born and bred a Midlands lass and this is a common snack usually consumed in the evening with a pint of beer.

What is your local/choice of savoury snack.

View attachment 2880

On the basis that The Midlands ia about as far from the sea as you can get I just have to call 'foul' on Scampi Bites. This is what you need:

upload_2016-7-10_12-5-18.jpeg

Of if you are really going to do it properly:

bostin-scratchuns.jpg

... and a point o' Bonks's :)

Lots of country pubs near me do trays of roast potatoes for the drinkers on Sunday ,pork scratching so are served loose in pots and pickled eggs are the best,scotch eggs are coming more common now,also honey and Dijon roasted chipolatas

Can't resist answering because when we lived in Midland, a common snack was Lay's potato chips. I would loved to have seen the scampi and bacon chips but I do believe different Midlands.
I was in Texas.

Can't resist answering because when we lived in Midland, a common snack was Lay's potato chips. I would loved to have seen the scampi and bacon chips but I do believe different Midlands.
I was in Texas.
This is the Midlands of England, generally the area covering Birmingham, Leicester, Nottingham and Derby. If you look at a map it's the bit in the middle.

Back
Top Bottom