Snacks in the Midlands

This is the Midlands of England, generally the area covering Birmingham, Leicester, Nottingham and Derby. If you look at a map it's the bit in the middle.
Hey, I 'grew up' (mostly secondary school years) in the Midlands. Stoke and Newcastle! That being the under Lyme version of it. NUL. Until I escaped the Preston and the lakes... That is after Scotland and the Pennines.

A friend of mine is a yam-yam (that's somebody from Wolverhampton) and lives by some form of contractual obligation to buy a bag of deep-fried mushrooms every time he ventures back home. That, along with several pints of Banks's Mild, of course.

A friend of mine is a yam-yam (that's somebody from Wolverhampton) and lives by some form of contractual obligation to buy a bag of deep-fried mushrooms every time he ventures back home. That, along with several pints of Banks's Mild, of course.
Why yam-yam? Not heard that before. I'd not heard of deep-fried mushrooms as a speciality in Wolverhampton either!

Why yam-yam? Not heard that before. I'd not heard of deep-fried mushrooms as a speciality in Wolverhampton either!

It's a similar concept to people from Sunderland being called makems; in the case of, er, makems, they say "mak" and "tak" rather than "make" and "take"; with Wolverhampton, it comes from "You am" (or more phonetically "Yow am") instead of "You are." The "yow am" usually comes out more like "y'am" and hence Black Country people are yam-yams.

Back
Top Bottom