Soft Shell Crabs

Softshell blues are from the Chesapeake Bay area, not Florida.

I did a search for online sourcing softshells and there are several vendors. The crabs are available from 1/2 to 6 dozen and from $25.00 to $150.00 USD.

The season for softshells starts in Florida in March and goes up the US east coast to Maryland, then back down to Florida as warm weather ends, in September.

The OP asked about soft shell crabs. Soft-shell crabs are also from Florida... and Texas, and probably a lot of other places in the world.

In response to the OP, I've never eaten soft shell crabs. No reason other than I've just never had the opportunity. It does sound a bit weird to me, but down on the Texas Gulf coast, they bread them and fry them (go figure, deep fried food in Texas). :laugh: It is on my food to-do list.

CD

Last edited:

We have the same blue crabs here, as does the entire east coast, louisiana and texas. We also get soft shells. The crabs don't get quite as big in the warmer waters as in the colder waters, but they are the same crab.

Haven't looked or even thought about soft shells lately though. Sorry to OP.

Right, ok. I'm going to see if I can get my hands on some. Need to scratch that itch.

Not sure, but they may be something you need to buy live, which means they will be expensive in Canada. Maybe Rocklobster can chime in on that. He is in Canada, and has connections in the food industry, he may be able to hook you up, or at least send you in the right direction.

CD

Not sure, but they may be something you need to buy live, which means they will be expensive in Canada. Maybe Rocklobster can chime in on that. He is in Canada, and has connections in the food industry, he may be able to hook you up, or at least send you in the right direction.

CD
Thanks. I'm going to contact my guys and see if I can get some. I thought the season was around this time and got in my head.

The OP asked about soft shell crabs. Soft-shell crabs are also from Florida... and Texas, and probably a lot of other places in the world.

In response to the OP, I've never eaten soft shell crabs. No reason other than I've just never had the opportunity. It does sound a bit weird to me, but down on the Texas Gulf coast, they bread them and fry them (go figure, deep fried food in Texas). :laugh: It is on my food to-do list.

CD
Dusted in a nice seasoned flour then pan fried in a ton of butter, yum.

You can buy them frozen as well, but they are more difficult, time consuming to prepare that way. They need to be defrosted, then placed between paper towels and weighted to get all the excess moisture out from the freezing and cell wall breakage. Otherwise, they won't get crisp. Still not as good as live.
to clean, you have to cut their faces out and clean out the lungs.

Back
Top Bottom