Soiree Meals

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
2:10 AM
An evening get together among friends, a soiree, would not be anything without food, from something as simple as snacks and drinks to a multi-course meal with all the trimmings.

Where do your soiree meals fit in that spectrum? How far are you willing and able to go for friends and family?

We don't really entertain, as I don't like cooking for anyone except the two of us.

The one dinner party we hosted (a Christmas party years ago), it got so out of hand and over-planned (by me, that was all on me), that I was a frantic mess by the night of the party, and I was rude to some guests (who still haven't forgiven me) and it was one of the most unpleasant things I've ever experienced.

To me the word soirée means a rather formal affair and has an air of elegance about it. I associate it with evenings with some sort of entertainment such as poetry readings, musical recitations or literary discussions or some such. I also associate it with earlier times - in particular the 1920's.

Have I ever held a soirée in that sense? I don't think so, although I used to have poetry evenings sometimes with other poets (a very long time ago). That was mainly drinks and savoury snacks - no cooking involved. Its a very long time since I had any guests here in the evening, even before Covid. I'm a bit like TastyReuben in that respect. I get too nervous and stressed and it takes any fun out of cooking.

I should add that even if I wanted to have an evening gathering I'm not sure I know anyone to invite, other than CookingBites members who live too far away, anyway!

Last edited:
We regularly entertain friends and family. With friends it's a 3 course meal that I do, break before dessert.
3 rounds of euchre with involves lots of laughter accusing people of cheating ( normally me) then dessert.
Usually 6.30 start til 11ish.
I love entertaining a lot. I'm an extrovert btw.

Russ

Coronapocalypse has given us an excuse to have smaller dinner parties. 2 or 4 plus my wife and I is the new norm. Usually dinner, desert and a lot of alcohol in my house :okay:

In the past, bigger gatherings would be more potluck style gatherings. My smoked fish dip is always a hit as an appetizer and recently smoked chicken thighs have been a common request.

Back
Top Bottom