Solstices and Equinoxes

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
8:57 AM
Happy Winter Solstice! :happy:

It's the Winter Solstice today, the shortest day of the year in the Northern Hemisphere. We can look forward to increasingly longer days, but not warmer ones. The Jet Stream wobble notoriously during January and February as we enter Carnival, making them the coldest months of the year, before March rolls in with the Spring Equinox.

It's the Winter Solstice today, the shortest day of the year in the Northern Hemisphere. We can look forward to increasingly longer days, but not warmer ones. The Jet Stream wobble notoriously during January and February as we enter Carnival, making them the coldest months of the year, before March rolls in with the Spring Equinox.
Same to you.

Our weather forecast for Christmas Eve & Day is delightfully brutal - snow on Christmas Eve, a low of 12F/-11C and a high of 19F/-7C. Proper Christmas weather!

Same to you.

Our weather forecast for Christmas Eve & Day is delightfully brutal - snow on Christmas Eve, a low of 12F/-11C and a high of 19F/-7C. Proper Christmas weather!

You folks just had a Nor'Easter brush you, didn't you?

Happy Solstice to you too. I shall keep reminding myself that today is the shortest day of the year, all the way through February, until it actually feels like the days are getting longer.

Same to you.

I'd come to rescue but I'm busy plowing the snow here.
res.jpg

I have a an ex-sort-of girlfriend who lives in Alaska. On winter solstice day, they get less than 4 hours. On summer solstice, daylight is almost 24 hours -- the sun goes down, but it never gets totally dark.

I found this picture on the internets -- noon in Alaska on winter solstice.

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 11.13.48 PM.png

CD

You folks just had a Nor'Easter brush you, didn't you?
I did, but live much further east than Tasty.

18-20 inches of lots of blowing snow.

DId have a good solstice however - got online with others the evening before via Zoom to celebrate the Sun's "return". AND on the 21st I saw the Jupiter/Saturn grand conjunction for about 30 seconds.

Now that the Pagan Holiday is over, we can get on with the Christian one, the substitute to bring them heathens to God's way and the church's intentions.

I did, but live much further east than Tasty.

18-20 inches of lots of blowing snow.

DId have a good solstice however - got online with others the evening before via Zoom to celebrate the Sun's "return". AND on the 21st I saw the Jupiter/Saturn grand conjunction for about 30 seconds.

And me with a handful of cameras and lenses, don't have a telescope to shoot such things.

I have a an ex-sort-of girlfriend who lives in Alaska. On winter solstice day, they get less than 4 hours. On summer solstice, daylight is almost 24 hours -- the sun goes down, but it never gets totally dark.

I found this picture on the internets -- noon in Alaska on winter solstice.

View attachment 53302

CD
That brings back some great memories of my time in northern Norway during a great summer 9 years ago. We had roughly 3 months of 24hrs daylight and got some fanatic midnight sun photos. (The longest day has just passed for us in the southern hemisphere).

These are all mine taken on my Canon EOS 5D mk ii with pro lenses and graduated ND Lee filters where needed. Not to mention the tripod for the first which photographically is my favourite.

The beach at Flakstad in the Lofoten Island. The sun never set or disappeared behind those clouds, just dropping to touch it. This is a panoramic i stitched together.

The above 2 were both taken at Nordkapp (North Cape) in northern Norway the night we arrived there, literally just before midnight. It was the last time that year that the midnight sun was visible due to dense fog rolling in and staying put. But we continued to experience 24hrs daylight for another month or so until northern Finland.

These 2 were waiting for the midnight sun and us having made it there. Just under 7,000km which we clocked a few days later. (My touring bike is the far one, then hubby's and then the closest is a guy who was just cycling in Norway, not attempting a round the world trip like we were. )

Back
Top Bottom