Something you have but haven’t used

I do have a new cook book - Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking by Marcella Hazen. It is a very good read. My goal is to read it cover to cover before I start cooking. I made a good start then got distracted with holiday baking and cooking. Thanks for the reminder. I need to get back to reading.
As for gadgets everything I have purchased recently I use. A couple of years ago I purchased a food mill that I have used once. George has an electric smoker that takes up a lot of space and has not been used often enough to justify its existence. Almost forgot my Insta Pot. I have used the Sous Vide setting with very good result especially with wild pig. I also use it to slow cook red beans and sausage or white beans and ham hocks.
In the dark recesses of the attic there are numerous never used gadgets - dehydrator, electric juicer, ice cream maker and who knows what else.
George spent a lot of money on a commercial grade vacuum sealer. My initial reaction was over kill. I have changed my mind. The residential machines we were using never lasted more than a couple of years. When I cook soups, stew, gumbo, chili I make large batches and freeze. I buy bulk ground meat, portion in 1/3 lb. patties and freeze. I buy bulk pork chops, packs of 4 tenderloins from Costco, rib racks plus the fresh fish we catch, the fresh shrimp we purchase and the venison and wild pig that George hunts. I had to eat crow and apologize for giving my husband a hard time about that purchase.

This folding pizza peel & pizza stone. :unsure:
Folding pizza peel..jpg
Pizza Stone with Handles & Pizza Cutter..jpg

Can you name something you’ve bought in the last…let’s say six months for use in your kitchen that you haven’t gotten around to using yet?

I’m thinking, and I can’t come up with anything, except maybe a cookbook I bought back in October.

How about everyone here? Do you have a new appliance or gadget you just had to have, and now…there it sits, unused?
Well my pasta attachment for my Kitchen Aid was sitting in my pantry for nearly 2 years before I finally broke down at the end of last year and made some fresh pasta with it. Not sure what took me so long, guess I was busy. Fresh pasta is amazing! I can't do penne and that sort of tubular pasta, but I have done fettuccine and spaghetti, and I know that lasagna noodles will be a breeze. At some point I want to try ravioli.

Oh we have a Nutribullet I bought a few years ago that's still in the box. I haven't used a big blender for anything in a long time, I generally just use my food processor or stick blender. Maybe this spring we will make some daiquiris and margaritas!

Ah yes the ubiquitous cupboard space stealer! think we’ve all had one of those at some point.

I rarely make hot sandwices, I like them, I just can’t be bothered with the mess. So when I do it’s either in a frying pan with a bacon press, or in the toaster using a sandwich cage (below) and a toaster bag. Mostly I prefer the non-greasy toaster versions.

View attachment 108978
I like the greasy ones, like paninis with lots of gooey cheese on them.

I like the greasy ones, like paninis with lots of gooey cheese on them.
I like lots of gooey cheese but I don't like greasy bread as well, about 15 mins after eating a full blown toastie (you know the ones where the outside of the bread is buttered before 'grilling') I start to feel just a bit icky 😆

I've had this for 3 months and haven't opened it yet or even begun to consider what to do with it.

View attachment 109929
I have that. Used it twice. Don’t think much of it. But the UK version isn't the same as the US version, a lot of the weight is made up with salt and sugar here where as the US version is more actual spices so probably much better.

Back
Top Bottom