Recipe Sous Vide Duck Breast, Marinated Carrots, Duck Demi Glace

aCooksConfession

Local time
7:18 PM
I've enjoyed duck since I tried it and every time I have it again it never disappoints. I made this dish the other day and I enjoyed it and so did my girlfriend. I brined the duck breast for 1 hour, then placed it in the sous vide for 1 hour at 135 F. I marinated the carrots and then sous vide them at 180 f for two hours inside the marinade. The duck Demi was a simple red wine reduction with some duck stock I had already in the freezer. Recipes follow. Who else likes duck and what're your favorite recipes?

Brine :
2 Gallons Water
1 1/2 Cups of Salt
2 TBS Black Peppercorns
1 Cup Honey
1 BN Thyme
2 Bay Leaves
1 Head Garlic

Marinade
1/2 Cup Olive Oil
1 TBS Sesame Oil
1 TSP Coriander Seed
1 Cinnamon Stick
1 TSP Sea Salt
1 TSP Blak Pepper
2 OZ Mint Leaves
Pound everything into a paste with a mortar and pestle

^ Looks delich' :hungry:.

Our super simple duck recipe:

2 (defrosted) duck breast fillets (sheared fat facing down first) grilled on natural embers on top of baking paper/parchment (shielded underneath with foil) for 10-15 minutes. A few turnovers, salt and ground black pepper to taste and 10-15 minutes on the side wrapped in foil to rest. Served with grilled parsnips and beetroot + blue cream sauce (blue cream crumbled into starchy vegetable cream), salt & pepper + a dollop of barley wine or trockenbeerenauslese.

Last edited:
^ Looks delich' :hungry:.

Our super simple duck recipe:

2 (defrosted) duck breast fillets (sheared fat facing down first) grilled on natural embers on top of baking paper/parchment (shielded underneath with foil) for 10-15 minutes. A few turnovers, salt and ground black pepper to taste and 10-15 minutes on the side wrapped in foil to rest. Served with grilled parsnips and beetroot + blue cream sauce (blue cream crumbled into starchy vegetable cream), salt & pepper + a dollop of barley wine or trockenbeerenauslese.
That sounds really good. I am a huge fan of roasted or grilled root veg. Is the Parchment and Tin Foil to help and protect from flare ups?

aCooksConfession said:
Is the Parchment and Tin Foil to help and protect from flare ups?
Yes, the tin foil is shaped as a plate for the duck: it prevents the dripping from smutching the gridiron and getting in contact with the natural embers (we don't use coal; just embers or gas burners). The good bits don't stick to parchment that much - hence the parchment. The foil keeps the duck and veggies juicier and protects the parchment from fire. The foil can be wrapped a bit over the edges to secure the parchment (like in this pic with salmon). The duck is roasted on flat foil-parchment and the veggies are wrapped into a firm foil-parchment package with salt, pepper, dried rosemary and evoo. Usually we cook the veggies further in the oven or brew (boil) them in advance as the embers die down quickly. The duck keeps moist when it's wrapped up immediately after grilling.

Back
Top Bottom