Recipe Southern Indian Pickled Aubergine

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
5:28 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Southern Indian Pickled Aubergine

I rather liked the picture for this aubergine pickle, though have to say I had some reservations about the cooking, so have re-written them avoiding adding cold vinegar to hot oil! Otherwise the recipe looks interesting and the green and yellow of the picture appeals far more to me than the dark brown of the chutney I have at home! I may well be trying this recipe out as well!
The recipe comes from Green Kitchen Stories (here).

aubergine.png

Makes around 2 jars

Ingredients

1/2 cup olive oil
10 cloves garlic, minced/crushed
½ tbsp fenugreek seeds
½ tbsp cumin seeds
1 dried red chili, mashed
½ tsp mustard seeds
6 – 10 curry leaves
1 cup vinegar
1/3 cup water
1 tbsp salt
2-3 medium size aubergine, cut into small cubes
2 inches ginger, minced
1½ tbsp turmeric
2 fresh green chili, deseeded and chopped​

Method
  1. Heat the olive oil in a thick bottomed pan and when hot add the fenugreek and cumin seeds.
  2. Allow them fry for a moment, before adding garlic. Once the garlic has turned light brown add red chili, mustard seeds and curry leaves.
  3. Fry while stirring over medium heat for about 2-3 minutes.
  4. Add the aubergine, vinegar, water and salt, stir and then add the remaining ingredients (ginger, turmeric and green chili)
  5. Bring the mixture to boil and simmer for at least 20 minutes.
  6. Cool off and pour into sterilised glass jars. Store them in the fridge.

I'm not so attracted to the colour (but then I'm addicted to dark brown Pataks!). This recipe doesn't contain any sugar. I'm thinking it might be quite a sharp acidic affair compared to the other recipes.

I'm not so attracted to the colour (but then I'm addicted to dark brown Pataks!). This recipe doesn't contain any sugar. I'm thinking it might be quite a sharp acidic affair compared to the other recipes.
I reckon that would depend entirely on the vinegar used. Right now I have some really nice apple cider vinegar which is unfiltered. It is absolutely beautiful to taste and then I have some proper Spanish, as in bought in Spain type Spanish, balsamic vinegar which again could work really well with it as well. Both have a natural sweetness that is missing from commercial acidic, sharp vinegars. And I am all for adapting recipes on the fly unlike my OH who I still can't get to taste a recipe as he makes it!

Back
Top Bottom